Old 05-17-2005   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Westwater Dog Alert!

To all of us who "used" to bring our dogs to Westwater and leave them at the put-in with our vehicles. Last Monday we (kayakers) showed up with our dogs for a great day of high water. The River Ranger was really pissed-off and didn't allow us to leave our dogs unattended. He told us that dogs were no longer allowed at the put-in or at Cisco (Ranger stated that the coyote packs were an issue) and had we read our permit we would have been aware of our *#@^ up. He busted us big-time and it was completely our own fault. My apologies to the River Ranger for having to deal with one more idiot.
Sincerely,
Strider

Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #2

Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
This is true.

mrbrejcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #3

Jamestown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Westwater rangers are not your friends

No need to apologize to the Westwater rangers. Those guys are NOT very friendly to begin with. Their attitudes tend to breed hostility, not foster cooperation. I used to live in Grand Junction and was there all the time. They seem to take great joy in harrassing folks that even have all of their sh-t together and have followed the rules. It is ridiculous that they claim you can't have dogs at Cisco. If we want to risk our pets, that's our business isn't it?
StyleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #4

Nederland, Colorado
Hey I've had problems with the rangers also (To loud, wrong pfd) but these guys are just doing their job and I have found if you treat them like you would want to be treated they are fair. They are smart guys and see a lot of things people try to get away with and when you are a smart ass to them they know. As for your dog they have a lot of problems with them and I hope people don't keep messing it up so were not aloud to bring them down the river anymore. That is there next step no dogs aloud on westwater or at the put inor take out. This is would be a shame because some people think they know better than what the rules are. If you can't take you dog with you he/she should not be there.
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #5

sorry for posting my opinion.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #6

Phil Bob dont tell others what is right for them!!!!!

Phil Bob I agree with the rangers decision but to tell dog owners not to take their pets on the river the only reply I have for you is"SHUT THE FUCK UP"I am a dog owner who cleans up after my dog every where we go.Its people like you who are the reason why we have such screwed up laws,just take care of yourself and stay out of other peoples bussiness.P.S. You Suck stay in N.M.
jacksplasticraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #7

Here's the thing... most people are idiots. And dogs unfortunately being the loving creatures they are go along with their idiot owners.

You can't make a single rule for everything. Key point here. Yes, some people are great, but as we've all been hearing since the first grade... the jackasses always ruin it for the good kids.

If people have good dogs and are smart owners and know how their dog reacts in certain situations (ie, on the river) then it's fine to bring fido, or woofie or whatever, BUT I hate seeing Big Billy Bob and his missing brain bring "Comando" on the river when the f**%^&ing dog hates it and is scared shitless and I have to paddle by looking at his tired eyes while he tries to swim to my boat because he's about to drown. No, that's not my idea of a fun day on the river.

It makes me sick. And since we can't make a law called "the if you're a dumb ass don't bring your dog, but if you're responsible and your dog wants to be there" river law, maybe it is best to not have dogs.

And jackwackcraft... that's awesome that you're a gold star dog owner and all, but can you honestly say that you've never seen some moron doing stupid stuff with their dog? How about the guys/girls in the raft that are so busy opening another beer they forget that Foo-Foo is trying to scratch her way up the raft or the dog tied at the put in who's patiently waiting for dumb and dumber to return and get him out of the burning sun? That's right. So if you were smart, you'd reread your post, shut your pie hole and then apologize to philbob, because while I'm sure your point was good when you thougt about, you sound like you're ten... "you suck..." blah blah.

I love taking my dogs places. I don't take them on the river because I'm kayaking and they don't like it. Not every dog likes the river. Get over it, and leave your dog at home if that's how it is.

It sucks that people don't get it. But they often DON'T.
Old 07-11-2005   #8

PHIL BOB… Why are you such a closed minded and selfish idiot?? When ever I am on reasonably safe class III/IV in a raft, I take my Labrador along. He is by far one of my best river pals, he never complains, doesn’t drink any of the beer, and he is always happy to jump out and retrieve a stray cooozy! (easy on the Drunk Rafter comments, I kayak 98% of the time) He is also my only boating partner that I can spoon with in my tent!

I have two dogs, one likes the river and the other does not. So as a responsible guy, I only take the one who does, and he always has his PFD on. Notice I PFD, not Life vest, I know there is a risk involved. There is a risk for myself as well. This is why we all love the sport.

There are a ton of people on MB that have had to pull bodies from the river. Why not outlaw rafting all together?? Hell, most boaters smell worse than dog shit.

I know that some people really screw it up for others, but please realize that there are people out there who really cherish their right to be on the river with their dog.

I feel that you should give up river sports, hiking/ Camping as well. Stick to the golf course, you will never have dog problems there.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #9

sorry for posting my opinion.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #10

Phil Bob,Vile Gurl

After rereading your post I think you should join PETA they are one of the top terrorist groups actively tracked by our FBI.Sounds like you might fit in.Breaking in to other peoples cars is illegal.Phil Bob you seem to condone this course of action.Im sure you all are better than everyone else and should take matters into your owne hands at any time you see fit.
Like I said I agree with the rangers at West water (Alvin).Do you want to tell me that when I take my dog up Quandry to ski the south chutte it is animal crulity?She always has her beacon on and on the river she has a PFD.Just food for thought.I will defend my right to take my dog where I want when I want and there are some places that they dont belong but it sounds like you just want to push peoples buttons and be smug.So Be uptight and offended if you want but life is to short to not spend time in the wild with my friends and my dog.........

jacksplasticraft is offline   Reply With Quote