Old 07-12-2005   #11

Alvin is an asshole.
and on another note
Some people don't have dogs cause they don't want to deal with them.
Why do you dog owners have to bring those beasts everywhere you go. I would love to go just once to a play spot and not have it feel like I'm visiting the kennel

puffaluffagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBob
dog owners lack of respect for other people
Thats a real inteligent overgeneralizing insult. It's like saying all peeps from Taos are pretentious uptight selfish bitches. Do you have the same views on people that bring their kids out in public??? Those damn smelly squelling buggers...keep them at home.....

Dog owners shouldn't be the only ones out there enjoying themselves, but you aren't either.

Quote:
And in a democracy the majority rules
There was a time that lynching people was pretty popular. I think we can agree that lynching people are bad

puffaluffagus-
You've NEVER been to a play spot without feeling like your at a kennel. I find that hard to believe. Most I've been to are dog free.

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #13

yeah yeah you are correct I have been to alot of playspots that are dog free. I guess my point is that at times it can be annoying when there are a buncha dogs loose on shore. I am a dog person. I have made a choice not to have a dog cause they are too much of a responsiblity. and it is usually friends of mine that bring the damn dogs. That said, it just sucks when your sandwhich is consumed by a dog or you step in shit or if while hanging out all ya hear is barking. Some people with dogs should try to respect those that don't have dog by leaving the dogs at home
puffaluffagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #14

sorry for posting my opinion.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #15

Which statement was taken out of context?

And as for the lynchings, the point is that you really shouldn't rely on a majority to back up your beliefs. A majority can clearly make the wrong decision. Especially with uneducated people making decisions.

Quote:
take your dog somewhere and kill it thats animal cruelty
Does this include taking my dog for a walk and having a drunk driver plow us over? Does this include taking fido to the vet for his yearly check up and something killing him. Everywhere I take my dog--including my backyard--there is a chance that the dog will die. There is also a chance he would die on the river. Why do you feel you have the ability and right to access which activities are too risky for my dog?

I enjoy living in a democratic society. Personally, I would prefer that I lived in one that relies on personal responsibility, not morons making laws for everybody else.

Thanks for checking my spelling. Be sure to let me know what I mispelled this time too!
Old 07-13-2005   #16

sorry for posting my opinion.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #17

Quote:
When you shorten a sentence to leave out the parts you want thats called taking it out of context.
I'll quote the whole damn paragraph if that makes you feel better.

Quote:
I respect your right to bring your dog just as I respect your right to respond to a post on a message board, do you respect my right to have some places dog free? You obviously dont have any respect for a persons feelings the way you turned this into a personal attack. Which is at the core of the problem; dog owners lack of respect for other people.
My repsonse is still the same. Thats a overgeneralizing insult.

I am not attacking your right to free speech. Where do you get this idea. I am however disagreeing with the stuff you're saying.

Quote:
If you honestly cant tell the difference then I feel sorry for you.
This really is not black and white. There is a whole continuum of risks that you can expose a dog to. I still feel that you don't have the ability or right to decide which of those are appropriate risks for my dog and I. Even you have 26 years of experience and however many documented river miles.
Old 07-13-2005   #18

philbob, you're really one to be calling people out on spelling. Been a while since high school English? Try using an apostrophe or comma now and then.
downshiftbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #19

Maybe I am just a liberal... oh yeah, I am, but isn't democracy and America about personal rights. Phil, you say that you don't want your rights to be dismissed and it's your right to enjoy the Public rivers and land without the annoyance of dogs. Fair enough. But what about the rights of dog owners who want to bring their pets with them while they enjoy the same public rivers and land? Who's rights are more important? I believe, and this may really be a stretch for some people, that personal rights aren't about what YOU can do or say, but about YOU accepting the things that others do and say which piss you off or make you mad. Acceptance of other's personal rights and freedoms is the greatest form of freedom we can give to each other. Dogs are on the rivers, like it or not. If you cannot accept that personal freedom being expressed by others than find a sport which doesn't allow dogs... I can think of many off the top of my head which require leaving the dog at home. Otherwise, accept the river sports for what they are— dogs included. I agree that people who leave their K9 tied to the back of a truck or in a car while they boat are irresponsible. Probably shouldn't be a dog owner... but labeling of all dog owners or making a blanket law forbidding people to bring their dogs with them is irresponsible as well. Despite your claims, the rights of animals are not picking up much steam, except for in Boulder. If you don't live in Boulder, then your pet is still, by law, considered "property." Doesn't mean that animal control won't take your animal away for brutality or abuse, but unless a city or county has "Tether Laws" roping a dog to the back of truck isn't illegal. There are many municipalities who are trying to change this, but they are running into major legal problems along the way. I agree with your posts that some people are irresponsible dog owners and I am not going to call you names, because that isn't productive. I just hope you realize the irony of your statements. Phil, for someone who has used this thread to champion YOUR rights on the river, you seem very unaccepting of the rights of the OTHER people who call this great country home. But I agree, the name calling isn't good for either side of this debate.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #20

ski/kayak bum
I keep looking in the constitution and in precedent set by the courts to find where it says that you have the "right" to own a dog....i just can't find it....someone help!!!! J ROck this is your specialty so please enlighten us. Maybe show me where it says you can enjoy the "parks and natural recourses" without interference from dogs....

-aaron

P.S. it does say something about being able to own a gun though....backasswards if you ask me.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote