Old 12-19-2005   #1

Walmart driving Albertson's out of business in GJ

This is off the subject of boating, but I feel that this is worth saying. Yesterday I went into my local Albertson's grocery store near Mesa State College. When I went to pay for my groceries, the cashier told me that the store was most likely going to be shut down as a result of competition with Walmart in the next few months. They're trying to sell the building to another grocery chain, but he said that it will most likely be an empty building. To add to this, those of us in Grand Junction are expecting two more Walmarts to invade the Clifton and Fruita areas. I feel that this is capitalism gone wrong. It's really sad that a good and reputable business such as Albertson's (next to a college) would go under to Walmart. What do you think about this issue? What could be done to stop Walmart, or should it be stopped?
Curtis

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
No offense, but I always think it is funny when people feel sorry for companies like City Market, Albertson's, etc. being outpriced by Wal-Mart. Sure, it's one thing if we are talking about local stores that are family operated by local people, but trust me, Albertsons, Safeway, etc. are not any less corporate than Wal-Mart, they just have trouble having lower prices. Usually when that is the case, the consumer wins. There are some exceptions though-we got a Super Wal Mart up here in the past couple of years, and I do shop there, and get lower prices, and can do one stop shopping. The problem is that the service isn't as good, and I wait in lines forever just to find out what the sign says in Spanish is that I'm in a "rapido" checkout line, etc. That makes me happier to go back to City Market, maybe I pay $3 more each time, but no lines, English speaking customer service, etc.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
How about next time you see if you can make your point without a racist comment.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #4

I can see your point that all of these stores are large coorperations, but there is a difference between Walmart and the other stores. For example, Albertson's offers healthcare plans and union wages in contrast to Walmart's anti union stance. Walmart will actually shut down a store rather than accept a union. Also, because Walmart sell's practically every day to day item, they're in competition with every place from Discount tire to Albertson's. Perhaps this is the way we as Americans want our ecomomy to be driven, but I think we're on a path to a giant Walmart monoploy.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5

Ft.Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Basically it comes down to this walmart sucks, but it is going to continue to grow because that's what people want. They want to be able to go to one store to get everything they need, its called convenience. Everyone rags on walmart and in no way am I trying to defend them, but they are only trying to cater to the laziness of people. Walmart strives because we as people let it! I do wish that there was something that could be done, however I think as long as they continue to out beat local grocers on prices they are going to out live.
eloveswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
KSC-

I'm not racist, I just don't speak or read Spanish well. It is difficult to get good customer service if there is a language barrier between you and the signage and the staff. Sorry if that makes me a racist, or hurts your feelings.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #7

What about the millions of poor folks that shop at Walmart that save $1.20 on a tube of tooth paste over Albertson's or City Market's price and can now afford a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs.

And employee benefits are market driven. If your not getting benefits, get better skills. A fair amount of employees that work at WalMart are lucky to have jobs at all, let alone benefits.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #8

Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo
Send a message via Skype™ to Maya_
While I see your point that people without skills shouldn`t have a better wage I ask you to look at the marjority of people that are forced to work at Walmart. Most of which have had no choice but to work there because their previous employeer was put out of buisness.

To all of those interested in the anti-Walmart movement I suggest this link:

http://walmartwatch.com/
Old 12-19-2005   #9

engineer
albertson's is reportedly being sold to another grocer....

as a result, they are closing a bunch of stores. while their sale and consequent stores is related to competition with wal-mart, it's not the direct reason for their stores closing, at least to my knowledge.

chris
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10

Albertsons sucks. Walmart Sucks. You suck!

Philbob

PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote