Old 01-16-2006   #71

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Have any of you heard of social darwinism? (I hope I spelled that right)It's like survival of the fittest except in economy. The strongest company survives. It's nature, there is nothing you, or any one else can do about it. Reality is definitive, (OOH big words) if any one really cared about what is happening to "the little guy" then the vast majority of them wouldn't be shoping at that grand creation magiked down from the heavens.

I have heard of Social Darwinism. Contrary to your simplistic definition, it encompasses more than just economic theory. You're referring to almost pure laissez-faire economics - a theory that says that markets left to their own regulation will find equilibrium. Now, most capitalistic free market systems support components of laissez-faire theory, it functions poorly in practice. Civilized societies that protect the interests of the people by regulating industries that would functions adversely if left to its most profitable practices. If left unregulated, the energy industry would operated devoid of environmental controls, thereby increasing mercury levels in our food chain vis-√*-vis fish, and Super Lucky Wonder Boy would have super-unlucky babies born without eyes.

Now, that's an extreme example, but the Wal-Mart discussion is debatable. And, as the Maryland legislature proved last week, there is something we (society) can do about it. In this case, society (not the specific industry) is working to establish the equilibrium. Wal-Mart may decide that they don't want to do business in Maryland, and that's their choice. But there is an economic penalty for Wal-Mart (in lost profits from exiting MD) and perhaps an economic penalty for MD in lost jobs and tax revenues if Wal-Mart leaves.

Only an idiot (or a extreme capitalist seeking a monopolistic play on a market without regard to society) would suggest the pure laissez-faire doctrine you're promoting. ALL governments have some component of regulation, and that's exactly what happened in Maryland.

As for any of us being a "hipocrit", that would imply that we secretly shop a Wal-Mart. I think that's what you're saying, although generally you're a little hard to get a read on ("Reality is definitive"? How about, "Redundant is repetitive¬Ē.....yeah....I like how that sounds!). Those who are critical of Wal-Mart¬ís practices are certainly in the minority to those who shop there, but the hypocritical action would be the folks out there who support unethical corporate behavior while professing to be "my brother's keeper".

But thanks for playing.

El Flaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #72

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the comments. Some were very interesting and some were cheap shots. I guess the bottom line is that we should educate our friends and family about Walmart, and hope some people realize what a bad company it is. Oh... by the way... the good news is that Albertson's has decided to stay open. I don't know why they reversed their decision, but I'm happy that they did.
Curtis

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #73

Student
every one seems to make walmart out to be this big evil coorporation but in actuallity it is a well thought out buisness and everyone is pissed because no one else is doing as well as they are this is capitilism at it best. mabey albersons needs to rethink there business plan and restructure. I won't lie competing with walmart prices is not easy. mabey albersons should move into distributing if they can't make it in the retail aspect of the buisness. the market will essentialy determan what will happen to albersons and albersons will be forced to move into a different aspec of the buissness and specialize.
Dano the mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #74

Golden, Colorado
Dano-
I know this sounds harsh, but you ought to sue Ft. Leisure to get your tuition money back. Seriously. That was just plain painful to read. Your grasp on spelling and grammar underscores an even greater lack of understanding of business principles. Besides, this is a discussion in Business Ethics, not whether what they do is sound business strategy.
Old 04-15-2006   #75

Walmart employs more people than any other company in America... Our citizens like to have jobs, get paid, feed their families etc. So whats the problem? not as good benefits? GO JOIN A UNION THIS IS A FREE MARKET ECONOMY!
thedude1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #76

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
GO JOIN A UNION THIS IS A FREE MARKET ECONOMY!
Pay attention, this has been covered. This is not a "Free Market Economy" - it's a mixed economy with some free market principles like deregulation. Understand that what WalMart is accused of doing is deliberately passing on the cost of insuring its workforce to the Goverment, or to put in in plain terms, the TAXPAYERS - some estimates put this figure at around $2300 per employee.

There are certainly other corporations and even government jobs (teachers, specifically) where this occurs, but Wal-Mart is the most visible because they are the largest & therefore have the biggest social and economic impact.

As for Unions, WalMart is also accused of "Union busting"; including shading tactics like hiring temporary workers to skew union votes, or shutting down the store altogether.

There's a fairly detailed write-up of Walmart's criticism here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart

Start by educating yourself and THEN decide you should criticize folks for boycotting Wal-Mart. If you're OK with:
1. Covering the costs of health care for their workers while they post record profits
2. While "Providing jobs for Americans", they import billions of dollars worth of Chinese-produced goods- which in turn moves jobs from the US to China. Recent estimates show that the trade imbalance with China has resulted in the loss of over a MILLION jobs for Americans (not all Walmart's fault, of course, but their imports from China may reflect up to 10% of all imports into the US.)

..then by all means, shop at Wally World. But if you think that Wal-Mart is a great American company that is looking after Americans, it's a good idea to take a really close look as to how they could be a better corporate citizen.
Old 04-17-2006   #77

wal mart

hey i was jackin off the other day...when.....get my point..who gives a fu*k about grocery stores..this is river post...stick to it
wholesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #78

When walmart struck the deal to move into the Vail Valley, they got (and I can't quite remember how many) somewhere between 5-10 years where they will not have to pay taxes.

Walmart sells cheap crap, the bottom of the barrel, however there are no other choices around here.

Walmart's meats, and produce are of sub-standard quality. So eat it, but just remember the word GIGO. =Garbage In Garbage Out.

They treat employees like shit and do not use business ethics. They are a company designed for making money. Period

Are they to blame??? Partly for starting a business like that in the first place. However most of the blame should be on us, because we dont have the will to not shop there and by shopping there we are supporting the unethical treatment of employees, the closing of other businesses in townships, and we are helping them to open new stores elsewhere. Its like a Spreading disease.

I mean hey lets send a message to all the people in the usa and especially to the children that "Its ok if you fuck people over and do every wormy thing you can....as long as you get rich doing it" " Ya kids, forget all those morals we taught you, who cares as long as you get rich? "

Fuck walmart and fuck those 2 dickbags that are spamming up the post with pro walmart speeches. Like "greed is good", what the fuck is that? Pretend you were talking to a child, would you tell them that?

YEA UMM... LETS GO BOATING NOW....
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #79

Golden, Colorado
Werd- I'll drop it. My main beef is with ignorant people anyway, not necessarily with Wal-mart defenders.

I'm fired up for an Escalante beatdown this weekend...see ya'll there.