Old 01-04-2006   #31

nurse
I am sick of the fact that to be right, you have to be a liberal or democrat. And that conservatives and republicans are mean spirited, greedy, evil and flat out wrong. And lets not kid ourselves about the ad-hominem arguments here. I have been acused of being greedy, stupid, etc., all in an attempt to discredit me, and my arguement. But the bottom line is that I am not wrong, and greed is good. Its human nature to be self satisfying, to want the best for yourself; before you can look out for the needs of those around you. Maybe we all wish that we could be a little more giving every day, and a little less greedy and a little less self serving. But the fact is, I'm not giving you the shirt off my back if its my last one. And if you disagree with me, go put yourself in that situation, and then come talk to me. This is the game that we play, and its a harsh one. There is no room for those who can't take the heat. If you don't like it, get out. Go to Europe and enjoy the economic decay. I'll stay here in an environment that champions the free market, which more than ANYTHING has made this country great, and will continue to make it great, carrying everyone from Walmart consumers, to Walmart execs and stockholders with it.

conservative boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #32

Sales
Send a message via MSN to Rushis Right
Hey CB. I just got a sweet deal on a TV at Walmart.

Rushis Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #33
sj

You're not wrong about the free market. look at my first post in this thread. Where the right has gone sorley wrong is your support bush or you're a terrorist attitude. If non conservatives could support the economic and war polocy of of the right with out having to also embrace a huge intrusive federal gov. and the use of the Constitution to discriminate. You might be suprised at the support the first 2 would get from the rest of the country. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #34
cma

Boulder
Can we all just agree that WalMart sucks as a store period, I'm not talking about their policies or anything, just their store, you get what you pay for.. Therr are also many other chains out there that don't provide benefits and insurance for part time employees as well, that is pretty much the norm in retail as well as hospitality. Now and then you can find someone that does but it's pretty rare. Mom and Pop shops are pretty hard pressed to offer these benefits to thier employees as well. I also don't feel sorry for Albertsons, they are listed as the second largest retail chain behing Walmart and they can't get their act together just like Sears and KMart. They will be swallowed up in their own incompetance. I think Target has ok benefits, nothing outstanding as well as Costco.. I would like to see the plans of all these companies compared to see what the real norm is and then where do you draw the line there? Do you protest and try to bring down every company with the same policy no matter how small? or do you just continue the status quo of only Walmart sucks?
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #35

Seattle, Washington
[ But the bottom line is that I am not wrong, and greed is good. Its human nature to be self satisfying, to want the best for yourself; before you can look out for the needs of those around you. Maybe we all wish that we could be a little more giving every day, and a little less greedy and a little less self serving. But the fact is, I'm not giving you the shirt off my back if its my last one. [/quote]

No one is saying to give the only shirt off your back. Your making a mountain out of a molehill.

Greed is good to a certain extent, but economic prosperity and a level playing field for everyone, no matter what circumstances they were born into, is needed to ensure a strong, safe, and prosperous country.

And can you please explain further by what you mean with European decay? They have their share of problems too, but at least they aren't owned by China. Do you have any concept of how much debt we have with that country (over 500 billion)? If they wanted to, they could send us into an economic tailspin like no other. What do you think is financing this war and what fiscally responsible politicians are administering all of this?

I don't think Republicans are always wrong, nor do I think Democrats are always right- but your party has changed direction quite a bit from the days of Eisenhower. Fiscal responsibility, accountability, etc..
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #36

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"I am sick of the fact that to be right, you have to be a liberal or democrat. And that conservatives and republicans are mean spirited, greedy, evil and flat out wrong. "

I'm sick of that fact, too. Sure wish it would change. Doubt it will any time soon, though.

And my mom would break your little pencil dick like a match stick. She did ride the King, after all.

And your mom aint much to look at, but she says some dirty shit in bed! I like that. Doesn't mind the paper bag, much either...at leas after I cut some eye holes in it.
Old 01-04-2006   #37

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
double post
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #38

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yeah, you gotta love a company whose corporate strategy includes allowing the Federal Government via Medicaid (yes, that would be our tax dollars) to cover the uninsured...so they can post a larger profit. It's a fact- a Wal-Mart exec was bragging in an email that they can easily shift the cost of employee insurance to taxpayers. They keep the number of part-time workers deliberately high in order to do this. Talk about being on the government teat; although that has long been a neo-conservative contradiction.

"In Florida, where the company has received more than $51 million in incentives since 1981, Wal-Mart, “has more employees and family members enrolled in Medicaid than any company in the state.” That means state taxpayers - many of whom live “paycheck to paycheck” - foot the bill for more than 12,000 workers and dependents. In West Virginia, 452 people — the most for any employer in the state — listed Wal-Mart on their applications with the state’s Children’s Health Insurance Program. And in California, a study showed taxpayers spend $32-million a year providing health care to Wal-Mart workers and $54-million a year in other assistance such as free school lunches and food stamps." It's not like they can't afford it - almost $300 billion in sales last year - they only care about eking that last fraction of a percent out of their profit margin. Right for the shareholders? Arguably, yes- although their might come a time when their socially irresponsible practices begins to hurt their business. Right for American taxpayers? Not unless you like giving a subsidy to a $300B /yr company, and you believe in a fair economic playing field.

What about the Wal-Mart workers that do get insurance? Even with health insurance, the deductibles, which range from $350 to $1,000 for a single person, make a doctor's visit a financial nightmare for those "underprivileged" workers. There is a six-month waiting period for full-time employees to become eligible for coverage, and a two-year waiting period for part-time employees, whose dependents are never eligible for coverage under Wal-Mart's health insurance plan. (Anyone who works less than 34 hours per week is considered part-time.) I don't know about your company, but most provide coverage in less than 3 months, some immediately.

Oh, and immigrants? Wal-Mart uses them to take jobs from "underprivileged" Americans. Take this with a grain of salt, because it IS from that liberal rag "Forbes Magazine": http://www.forbes.com/business/servi...m_0318wmt.html

Let's not forget that they're being sued for gender bias in their hiring practices too: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...04Jun22_2.html

I have no problem with the defense of the free market system- but it's ignorant to believe that it's ever been totally "free"; just like there's no pure democracy. If shareholder wealth were held above all over values, RushConBoater's 8 year old children would be filling painkiller tablet orders at the Wal-Mart pharmacy well into a 60 hour workweek. And if they didn't like it, their job would be given to the immigrant child happy to take it. The fact remains that if industries are left totally unfettered and unregulated, society pays the price- from worker safety in Mining to avoiding insurance for Wal-Mart employees.

States are beginning to take action against Wal-Mart practices -Georgia (a Red state even!) passed a law to require companies to report on the number of employees enrolled in state healthcare systems.

You would like to think that Wal-Mart is giving all those Americans a chance to start that American dream; but that's not in their financial interest to promote that. They don't need or want educated ambitious people to work for them. And to say that Wal-Mart "produces jobs" is not always the case- "A recent projection by the University of Illinois at Chicago's Center for Urban Economic Development concluded that the proposed West-Side Chicago store likely would yield a net decrease of about 65 jobs after that Wal-Mart opens, as other retailers in the same shopping area lose business. A study cited in Business Week as showing modest retail gains after Wal-Mart's open actually reported net job losses counting effects on warehousing and surrounding counties."

And it's not that a corporation can't be stewards of their own community and still post profits. Look at Costco: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Business/story?id=1362779

The bottom line for Wal-Mart is this: We don't necessarily wish for its destruction. I applaud their effort in Aurora to make the switch to sustainable building materials. A democratic society has an obligation to keep the powerful (corporate or political) in check, and by putting concerns in front of the public eye, that in turn can influence shareholders to influence Wal-Mart’s management. If you want to support a company who chooses to continue to avoid the "right thing", go right ahead. But at least get your facts right, and if you don't care about worker's rights & corporate handouts; by all means, shop to hearts content. But when you make grand suppositions and anecdotal stretches to justify excessively greedy behavior, you can expect us to jump your shit with some facts.

You don't have to step on someone else's neck to be a successful company (or for that matter a successful society, or a successful individual. Or EVEN a true conservative). I'm not claiming that 'democrat' or 'liberal' is right- but the NeoConservative movement supports an unsustainable philosophy of greed-is-good to such a degree that a few will prevail (such as the Waltons, the Bushes, and the Kenneth Lays of the world) while the rest of the country will falter. The economy isn't made up of individual bootstrappers that make it through no help from anyone else- it's very much like a living ecosystem that functions best when all its parts are healthy.

If democratic leadership is so bad for America, why are the periods of sustained and healthy growth so largely favor periods of democratic majorities and/or presidencies? The facts are here: http://www.eriposte.com/economy/other/demovsrep.htm
If you're so financially motivated, maybe that'll speak to you. Next time, bring some freakin' facts to an argument- if we want Talking Points we can tune to Fox News.

PS- and by the way, I think I'll pass at a chance to actually go boating with you, RushConBoater- you might decide not to throw me a rope because of some financial cost to yourself.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #39

Tool
Just a ? here.
I work and pay taxes, then draw unemployment/welfare or medicaid/mediccare for what ever reason, am I not getting back what I put in? Or is that sucking off the tax payers of America, which I was one of?

If you are looking for good products you go where they are sold, if you looking for kraft blue box you go to walmart where it is half the price of the local grocery store.
Simple as that.
Everyone has a bitch about something.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #40

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
El Flaco for pres in '08! BSOE for...vice pres?