Old 07-19-2011   #1

Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Very tragic, but also ignorant

"villagers said they had warned the people sitting in the risky areas of the stream about it"

This, to me, is a perfect example of how quickly water changes and how powerful it can be. It also is very sad, but shows that people need to think instead of being idiot tourists. Look before you leap.

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The video is unbelievable. Very tragic indeed. I am a little sick to my stomach to be honest...As stated, be careful out there and try to inform others that may not be aware of the power of water. Charlie Walbridge just posted the fatalities list from this year and I am in shock that people do not wear PFDs or go down swollen rivers on air matresses...the more you know...

wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #3

glenwood springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate

"villagers said they had warned the people sitting in the risky areas of the stream about it"

This, to me, is a perfect example of how quickly water changes and how powerful it can be. It also is very sad, but shows that people need to think instead of being idiot tourists. Look before you leap.
Very sad.. In this case wouldn't it had been better to stay separate as opposed to bunching up. Seems like they made a bigger mass causing more water pressure. Not to mention when one fell they all got pulled down.
gwoodcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
That's horrible.
Old 07-19-2011   #5

N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I had my friend who is fluent in both languages spoken in India translate it here's what he said...

Those people that are video taping were yelling at those people who were in the water to hurry up because the water was approaching fast, and they need to get out soon or they are going to get swept. And towards the end they were all saying they are dead because they are no where to be seen and one said he is sure they are all dead because of all the stones. And they were calling the cops/rescue people at the end and saying five people went over the fall and you guys need to hurry up and help them get rescued, he was also telling them the location of the place some picnic spot.

Nathan H.
Old 07-19-2011   #6

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Wow, not a throw bag to be had! The worst is watching them stand there knowing the inevitable is going to happen. Sad!!
Old 07-19-2011   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodcat View Post
Very sad.. In this case wouldn't it had been better to stay separate as opposed to bunching up. Seems like they made a bigger mass causing more water pressure. Not to mention when one fell they all got pulled down.
I hoped they would all lock arms and slowly move as a large mass with multiple footings. Very sad.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #8

aurora, Colorado
cmon ....tourists or not they were just stupid people ...you wouldn't catch me standing there when the water was low let alone when it started rising ...sad? ...ya i guess so
dv3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretheriverflows View Post
The video is unbelievable. Very tragic indeed. I am a little sick to my stomach to be honest...As stated, be careful out there and try to inform others that may not be aware of the power of water. Charlie Walbridge just posted the fatalities list from this year and I am in shock that people do not wear PFDs or go down swollen rivers on air matresses...the more you know...
Care to share where Charlie's post is? I am always curious to see how many fatalities come from poor decisions and from poor luck.

-Kevin
mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #10

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv3iii View Post
cmon ....tourists or not they were just stupid people ...you wouldn't catch me standing there when the water was low let alone when it started rising ...sad? ...ya i guess so
Pretty hard hearted dude. We've all done some pretty foolish things--I know I'm guilty...

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote