Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 05-06-2015   #11
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Try peaks2plains.wordpress.com (link at bottom of first post), there is more info included in that website.

I think the original plan was to have the 3 temporary bridges removed by runoff, but that has not happened. The permanent bridges were designed with boaters in mind.

This phase of construction will open up five river access points with parking. My opinion is losing access to a very lightly used section for one season is worth the improved access, scouting, parking and shuttle opportunities when completed.

My concern is how narrow the riverbed is now just upstream of Hywy 119/6 junction.

The long-term plan is for this trail to connect with existing trail in Golden and at Kermits. No one seems to know the timing or funding to completion.
I have not been up there yet to see what is going on. What is your concern? Fast water? Too narrow for rafts?

Chief Niwot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #12
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
I have not been up there yet to see what is going on. What is your concern?
Actually my concern was addressed on the linked website.
Driving up to Loveland at least once a week all winter, I could see the construction just upstream of the Highway Junction (6/119) and they made the creek VERY narrow between the two bridges. Looked to me to be too narrow for a cataraft.

But on the website, they said it was 13' wide temporarily to accommodate heavy equipment and the final width would be 8'. There are very few places on this phase that will be that close to the creek.

It is a bit frustrating to not be able to find out any info on future phases of this trail. I understand it is an expensive project and funding is not in place. But I question the logic of starting in the middle. There will be very little parking and no legal bike or hike access from either Golden or Kermits. Seems to me that on weekends, there will be a lot of parking issues and bikes on Highway 6 making the short connection to Kermits, where the trail continues to Loveland Ski Area.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #13
Denver, 80205
Answers to Queries

Good morning!

Apologies for the late reply. We were working to get some responses to your questions from our project team.

Here are some notes for you:

- The low bridges are temporary. There will be permanent bridges in relatively the same locations as the temporary crossings we currently have, with the exception being the crossing at Mile Post 261.56 (there is no permanent bridge at that location).

- We are hoping to keep the temporary bridges in the creek during runoff. If it appears there is going to be a safety concern, we will remove them. No one knows definitively how the creek will behave, so we will be sure to monitor the creek.

- The abutments (supports) will only be on the banks. Attached are a "before" photo and "after" conceptual drawing of what the area with the bridge will look like.

- All the bridges have been designed to not be overtopped by a 100-year flood event and less. The freeboard (the room between the lowest portion of the bridge and the water level) on the bridges varies between 4.3 feet and 5.6 feet in a 50-year flood event. All bridges have a minimum of 6 feet during a 5-year flood event.

We had also received a question about why this was planned during runoff and at the most easily accessed run for Denver. Due to permitting and an incredibly difficult working terrain, this is when we can and must get this work done.

We absolutely appreciate the understanding and patience of the rafting community; you are a passion group, and we are looking forward to creating a safe and exciting trail experience for you and all outdoors enthusiasts in this area.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We will check this thread periodically, and you can also reach us at 303-569-9972 and p2ptrail@publicinfoteam.com.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	9825   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	9826  

P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #14
Denver, 80205
Creek Open Past MP 262.25

Addendum: We had received a question about where the river "opens" beneath the bridge.

The entire river below the work going on at the Mayhem Gulch parking lot is open this season. We have basically closed the river between Placer Flats and Mayhem Gulch/Centennial Cone parking lot. The US 6 Mile Post where the creek is "open" again is after 262.25.
P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Rich's concern about over use and lack pf parking seem quite valid, with the trail only existing in the middle of the canyon, leaving no choice but to drive there to use the new trail. Are there new, bigger lots planned?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #16
Has the trail work in Clear Creek Canyon been abandoned? I understand the safety issues of construction during high water, but high water has been over for more than a month. If construction has been abandoned, when will the temporary bridges be removed? I tried to find this info on the P2PTrail website, but it has not been updated in quite awhile.

I am a big fan of multiuse trails and would love to have a trial from Golden to Kermits, but have been really disappointed in the lack of communication with the public. Depending where you look the approved and funded trail is either 3 miles or 5 miles. Completion dates vary from Summer 2015 to Summer 2016. There is no info available on future trail alignment or schedule.

I question the logic of starting the trail in the middle with no firm plans for completion on either end. Since bikes are not allowed on US 6 thru the Canyon, when this segment of trail does open, the only access will be the very few parking spaces at Mayhem Gulch. Finishing the few miles to Kermits would be the logical next step to provide access and parking, but Clear Creek County does not seem to have funding for that segment.

Major construction is always a big short term inconvenience, but with long term benefits. It would be helpful if there was more communication of plans and schedule.
Old 08-03-2015   #17
The bike path update would be great, but at least get the bridges out of the water. Surely, we wont have to deal with this river closing bike path construction again next year, right?
Old 05-07-2016   #18
Not only are the 3 temporary bridges still in the water from last year, but they have added two more. Have seen several private and commercial trips just upstream. The semi-temporary bridges are not boatable and appear to be very dangerous to boaters.

This section of bike trail was supposed to open in June 2015, delayed till June 2016, but very little progress this winter. Bridges that were set 2 months ago still have no decks, no permanent guard rails on most of the trail.

I drive by 3 or 4 time per week and rarely see more than a few people working on the trail. I suspect they will abandon the project for most of the summer as they did last year.
Old 05-19-2016   #19
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
The temporary bridges are dangerous now and you will be unable to get them out as the water jumps in the next two weeks. I hope the bridges don't kill anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jenloisphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #20
This is pretty much bullshit. The paddling community has been patient and understanding, but the time has come to get these out now.

Peaks To Plains Trail
Public Information Team

The info phone number isn't even for this project.