Old 01-28-2011   #1

Snowmass Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
US 50 shutdown!

....near salida, gas truck ignited and killed the driver, could be gas in the rio......
Victoria Advocate | Fatal tanker crash closes US Highway 50 in Colo.

ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Damn, that is an awful way to go.
Vibes++

glenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Luckily from what I heard the fuel ran away from the river. Plus they had hazardous materials crews and AHRA personel on hand quickly...still though, ANOTHER rolled tanker in the Bighorn Canyon....one of these days I hope they re-route hazmat trucks around the canyon.

They said on the radio that initially they tried to put the fire out with water, and it created a giant black cloud (duh) that lingered and moved down river...

I do feel bad for the driver's family though...unfortunate indeed.
Old 01-29-2011   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado

image courtesy of the Mountain Mail
Old 01-29-2011   #5

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where would you route tankers around Bighorn Sheep Canyon?? Over Vail/Loveland Passes? Through Westcliffe on 69? All the way south through Alamosa on 285 and 160? Just curious.

50 is a major East/West highway for trucking across the state, and country.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Where would you route tankers around Bighorn Sheep Canyon?? Over Vail/Loveland Passes? Through Westcliffe on 69? All the way south through Alamosa on 285 and 160? Just curious.

50 is a major East/West highway for trucking across the state, and country.
It likely won't ever happen, but every year tankers roll over between Cotopaxi and Salida. Several in the last 5 years have dumped their contents into the river. In fact there has been 3 instances of this in the same spot near Rincon in the last year or so.
About the only other option I can think of is highway 9 from Parkdale up to 24 and then back down to 50 via 285....and this option would add a shit ton more traffic on my commute every day, but I still think it would be better than a tanker truck dumping in the river every 6 months.
Old 01-30-2011   #7

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The other option is that state patrol needs to crack down on truckers speed in the canyon too. Every time they roll is due to either speeds or falling asleep, though I would guess speed is the main issue in that canyon. Course, I don't want more cops slowing me down, but then again.....safety and water issues.

Since HW 50 goes to I70 anyway, they just need to divert truckers w/ hazmat to 70 prior to denver or up I25. 160 would be a bad idea, just what we need is them rolling in either the SF rio Grande or Pagosa side.

There has to be a cost effect way to allow for those metal tanks to have some kind of fire retardant or other such option to contain it as soon as the tank goes over. Sparking metal on concrete is just what a gas tanker needs.

Lmyers...AZ is shit outa snow, unless we get some major storms, stay away this year, sorry.

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote