Old 05-29-2009   #11

Frisco, Colorado
went through there on sunday, 2 people were still trying to get the stuff off of the bridge column.

master of disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #12

wow, that is harsh. good to know what is expected of lost river gear.

G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #13

Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
raft3plus, must be nice to never make mistakes, huh? Sweet deal for you, keeping other people's gear- good luck with that river karma.

I have been part of a *$%& show mistake before on the Upper C and I can guarantee you it won't happen again. Lessons were learned.

It's not like the dude was busy eating turkey legs and drinking schlitzeses while not rescuing a kayaker at the time of the wrap... did the swimmers blow their whistles indicating they were ready for a group rescue?

and the morale of the story is: everyone is responsible for their own actions... even the passanger with the beat up hands. There are no guarantees in life. I hear your concerns but you kind of come off as an egotistical jerkface.
ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #14

Denver, Colorado
that is a jerk move, your a bad egg bro and need your ego checked.
tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #15

Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Meant to say: ... then you have a slim chance of getting your gear (it), because it is so far downriver already.

You were scolded by other boaters at raftcamp the night before for having pulled the same maneouver, where no second bridge was and thus no consequence.

Your camera is en route to you via Peggy; bless her. The case has been labelled Karma, imbued with a newer and much more improved peace of kindness, meant for the safety bounty of future finders. It has been labeled with your name, phone number and email, and will be returned to the exact location where it was found. Karma will be under way at noon tomorrow, when we put in up there again to ride the fun show. 16ft sb, right into the hole is the goal.. who's all going?

The reason I have an 18fter now is because my good buddy (and 12 year CO guide) wrapped her around tombstone on shoshone at high water, frame busted through the tubes, severing one tube all around and blowing baffles -> boat shredded. It can happen to anyone. Let me know when you get your boat off the pillar so I can help you repair it and put it back on the water. Extra urethane will go miles here. Restoration cost soup-to-nuts for the 'free' river hog was ~250.

Having made many mistakes, I too, appreciate new ones and ones that need repeating.

See you all on the river and may karma keep us all in check.
raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #16

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
EVERYONE makes mistakes. If you don't, you aren't learning anything. Maybe a little more compassion and a little less criticism could make the world go happily around...
Old 05-29-2009   #17

raft3plus, you redeemed yourself with your last post. I read your first one and thought, What a dick. Return the camera but not the pelican case? what is THAT about? Anyway your last post makes me want to run Shoshone tomorrow with freshly-filled Zippo lighter while keeping an eye out for a pelican box....
Anyway the Twin Bridges can be a tricky run, the bridge pylons don't line up and the river curves to the right to make it even more interesting. I live a mile downstream from it and have run it perhaps 200 times and STILL I try not to be too complacent or take it for granted. At low water you have to take the right line, and at medium to high the center is pretty easy. But I've puntured a pontoon on one of my catarafts on that right pillar, and bounced off the left once trying that for a challenge. Its one of those runs in which the margin between a boring shot down the middle and carnage is very slim.

Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote