Old 05-15-2011   #1

GWS, Colorado
Trespassing Incident at Gore Canyon

Here's what happened. Last friday, a group of five of us put on to gore late in the afternoon. We stopped at the paddle in shortcut, located next to the sign that reads "no portaging," and got out our boats. Peeking over the embankment, we saw somebody in a tractor stacking hay bales about 100 yards up to our left. Should we go? Somebody said "fuck it, lets go" and we ran across the spit of land, put back in, and had a good run down the canyon. Myself and another member of the group headed back up to run shuttle and a Grand County sheriff was waiting for us at the put in. The rancher who owns the land called the cops and was very, very, intent on pressing charges against us for criminal trespassing on agricultural land. The exact penalty of this charge is ultimately decided by a judge during a court hearing, but it was clear that would be a significant fine and a lot more than just a slap on the wrist. After a stressful hour of negotiating with the sheriff, the sheriff called the rancher and his son who agreed to come down to the put in and talk things over with us. The father and son basically said they have been dealing with this shit for a long time (20 plus years) and they are sick of it. It's their land, they are growing hay to feed their cows, and all they want is respect for their private property from the boating community. They were both reasonable and understanding individuals, but firm in their stance. They ultimately agreed to not press charges against us if we spread the word to Colorado boaters that it is NOT ok to take the short cut across their land and the next group that is caught on their land will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The next day, we timed how long it took to paddle leisurely around the oxbow. 12 minutes. It takes at least two minutes to get out of your boat, walk across their land, and put back in. So next time you are paddling in, please don't be a lazy ass and take the extra 10 minutes out of your day. Have some respect for these guys and their property and paddle around.

Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Cross post this on the AW site for Gore please...

Blackshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Never do. . . always afraid it would screw things up for the rest of the community. Glad you were able to negotiate. Lesson learned hopefully. It would be tragic to loose access. Props for posting. . .
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
It's clear that people just don't get it. I'd figure you Durango boys to have a bit more respect since your Pandora's situation is dicey as well. You're definitely not the only ones at fault though - there's plenty of lazy Vail boaters and Frontrangers that portage as well. I've also done it twice over my 10 years of boating Gore. Those ranchers have been nothing but helpful to the boating community through the years, yet we can't even grant them one simple favor that they are legally entitled to. They should prosecute the shit outta someone, it's the only way we'll learn.

Also, stay off the tracks! I even saw some dipshits who were stupid enough to post pics of themselves on the tracks.

I guess I'm feeling old and grumpy tonight. Diatribe over. Can't wait to get some goodness myself in a couple weeks!
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Well said ben, I was one of the boaters caught and talked to the ranchers before this incident I was being a punk and totally disregarding what should have been obvious and know that I will take some well deserved heat from some people. I now completely understand his points and respect his private property now more than ever and can say with certainty that I will never do it again. We also learned that they have a problem with people getting out of their boats to go to the bathroom on their property, there are nice bathrooms at the takeout and putin take advantage of them.
I tend to agree with Joe that it will take someone getting charged to make us stop, but I really hope that it doesn't come to this, I know that I will tell all of my friends who do it about how it negatively impacts the whole community and I hope all of us can spread the word. Maybe if we show some respect to these landowners it can gain us some support for alternative access and build a relationship for the future.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #6
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
It's a personal choice; to trespass or not to trespass?...Chose wisely and face the consequences... Someone might set up a game camera and post pics of portage violators on the buzz or the rancher might shoot holes in boats with his rifle... It has no effect on the rest of the boating community. There is no way to take away an American's right to be within a navigable river bed. If the railroad removed all their garbage and undid all the destruction from the canyon I will begin to have a little respect...
Old 05-16-2011   #7

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Bank View Post
It's a personal choice; to trespass or not to trespass?...Chose wisely and face the consequences... Someone might set up a game camera and post pics of portage violators on the buzz or the rancher might shoot holes in boats with his rifle... It has no effect on the rest of the boating community. There is no way to take away an American's right to be within a navigable river bed. If the railroad removed all their garbage and undid all the destruction from the canyon I will begin to have a little respect...
It's a little unclear what you are trying to say here but it sounds like you should have a hell of a lot more respect. A navigable waterway and private property along the banks are two very different things. If it weren't for a local rancher and an easement, there would be zero access to Gore. yes, the railroad trash sucks but it's largely a relic from past times when there was just a very different ethic. If it were not for the railroad, most of the rapids in Gore would not be there (right or wrong) but it wouldn't matter because the railroad lobbyists are the only reason the whole place isn't 'Gore canyon reservoir.' We are lucky to have so much public land in the U.S. but a rancher has as much right to ask people not to piss on his fields as you have to ask people not to piss on your front porch.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #8

Summit/SLC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Bank View Post
You come across like a self entitled ass. Someone trespassed (admittedly & illegal) to save about 15 minutes, that is pure laziness and disrespectful to the landowners and boating community at large.

Private property is just that; private. There is access at gore and yet people still trespass, post videos of scouting from the track side, etc... I am amazed at how self entitled people are. If you are too steezy to paddle an extra 15 minutes of flatwater to get to a premier class V run, then maybe you ought to take up road biking.
headtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtrip View Post
If you are too steezy to paddle an extra 15 minutes of flatwater to get to a premier class V run, then maybe you ought to take up road biking.
Why do you have to bag on road biking? Send him off to the rock climbing community.
Old 05-16-2011   #10

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
compromise on banishment to the bouldering community?

dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote