From National Geographic online:

3 Dams to Be Removed in American West to Restore Rivers

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Great article, thank you. Especially enjoyed the film clip with Katie Lee and Floyd Dominy!
Old 12-01-2016   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
No kidding! Man, Glen Canyon looked like it would have been just f-ing incredible. Katie Lee was a hoot!
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016   #4
El Vagabundo

Edgewood......, Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 2013
Glen Canyon Dam Life Span

Check out this story linked below and describing the Glen Canyon Dam situation, sounds like there is at least some hope that might go away but it will take the feds another 20 years to realize the dam is not worth its weight; might also be awfully hard to convince folks that draining and doing away with Lake Foul is also a good idea. Long term drought is our new normal and we all know the dam is wasting more water than it is serving so why keep it?!

Feds Give 20 More Years to Glen Canyon Dam on Colorado River - ABC News
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016   #5

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
There are a lot of power boaters and lake Foul businesses that would fight this tooth and nail.
Old 12-20-2016   #6
El Vagabundo

Edgewood......, Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 2013
Water Fights

True but those folks wont have a leg to stand on when there is simply not enough water to go around and not enough making it to the farms and other thirsty folks downstream, including Mexico. When this realization hits that lake foul is no longer effective whatsoever and it is not doing anything but wasting more water than what they are legally obligated to convey to consumers downstream, something will have to give and I am guessing Foul should be the first to go when we get there; and I am afraid that we are headed there - even if these droughts are temporary in the scale of things and are only the "work of the devil" and anthropogenic global warming is just a Chinese hoax!

At some point, with drought becoming increasingly more and more severe and becoming the norm like it is I think the need for more water downstream is going to trump the power boaters and other nonsense associated with Foul. It makes more sense anyway to hold it all up behind Hoover and disperse it from there, Hoover is more stable and set into a less porous geological medium.. the powerboats etc. may have to consider relocating to Mead someday... I'd guess
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016   #7

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Sometimes I think I missed my calling. I would love going to work if I where killing damns every day. Watching dynamite go boom! I'd do it for pbr.