Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 01-28-2010   #31

News story with landowner's attorney stating: "There isn't any right to float in Colorado, that's folklore."

See http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/138947

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #32

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Reading that really makes me want to put my foot up that lawyer's ass...

I hope the bill passes.

Old 01-29-2010   #33

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
John Hill

Looks like John Hill will likely need to leave the state if he is successful with this client. Everyone in Gunison will be so forgiving.
Old 01-29-2010   #34

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
so the developer claims river rafters are damaging the riverbed?(how does a floating raft on water damage the riverbed?) after they have made improvements.....Oh my, really??? I hope it doesnt fly...this could set a very damaging precedence..
I hope our representatives can see past this whohaw....
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #35
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
so WE damage the riverbed by floating across the water quietly, and despite the two giant pumps that suck water out, and the two check dams he built to provide water for those pumps, hes actually helping? uhh......
Old 01-29-2010   #36

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
More info

A few more links on the topic.

Letter from Jackson Shaw to a local Taylor outfitter (not me).
http://www.croa.org/viabilityAct/jac...awProperty.pdf

The actual bill.
http://www.croa.org/viabilityAct/118...abilityAct.pdf

Fact Sheet from Colorado River Outfitters Assoc. (Pretty much the same as AW's)
http://www.croa.org/viabilityAct/via..._FactSheet.pdf
Old 01-29-2010   #37

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I learned to kayak on the Taylor in college many moons ago. I have paddled all sections from Lotis down. This is everyones river to enjoy. We can not allow these assholes to take control over the waterways in order to line thier pockets. It is unacceptable. I must agree with lmyers comment above. A foot in the ass would be most appropriate.
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #38

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I had a nice sit down with my legal team this weekend, and I'm assured by some brilliant legal minds that neither this developer, nor his attorney has a leg to stand on or a pot to piss in on this one. We're drafting a petition that's going to be circulated to every member of the Colorado Bar Association, that will read something like this: We, the undersigned members of the CO bar stand in support of HB, 1188, and further support the rights of all people to float, fish and enjoy Colorado's free flowing rivers. Furthermore, we will oppose any legislation or judicial action that attempts to privatize any part of Colorado's free flowing rivers. We, the undersigned are of the steadfast belief that the rivers of this state are the property of the citizens of the state, and will oppose any effort to undermine that ownership.

That's my summary, I'm not the one drafting the petition, but that'll be the gist of it. Once the signatures are gathered we're going to present it to each and every elected representative in state gov't, as well as each and every county sheriff and DA.

We, the boating/fishing public just "lawyered up"
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #39

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
I had a nice sit down with my legal team this weekend, and I'm assured by some brilliant legal minds that neither this developer, nor his attorney has a leg to stand on or a pot to piss in on this one. We're drafting a petition that's going to be circulated to every member of the Colorado Bar Association, that will read something like this: We, the undersigned members of the CO bar stand in support of HB, 1188, and further support the rights of all people to float, fish and enjoy Colorado's free flowing rivers. Furthermore, we will oppose any legislation or judicial action that attempts to privatize any part of Colorado's free flowing rivers. We, the undersigned are of the steadfast belief that the rivers of this state are the property of the citizens of the state, and will oppose any effort to undermine that ownership.

That's my summary, I'm not the one drafting the petition, but that'll be the gist of it. Once the signatures are gathered we're going to present it to each and every elected representative in state gov't, as well as each and every county sheriff and DA.

NICE! And we the boating community Thank You for all of the efforts! Glad we have folks like you on our side! Lets bring this developer and his lawyer back to Rocky mountain reality...not their private stash!
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #40

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post

This is good news. This issue makes my blood boil. I need some good news.

CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote