Old 07-07-2008   #31

Never said water was being wasted. I only pointed it out as a point of reference, and asked if this company in question actually has a water right to be extracting from the river in any quantity.

Besides your "right" to extract 1 af from your domestic well doesn't mean that the water actually exists (now or in the long term). Most Western states regulate their water based on optimistic estimations about aquifers and surface water that are 100 years old and were never been proven and are in fact at present being dis-proven at a rapid pace.

Yes I may be a water Nazi to a degree living in the SW my whole life but when you are strapped for a resource that is the essence for life you come to appreciate it a great deal more than others.

Old 07-08-2008   #32
Extreme Duckineer

Tick Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrocket View Post
2) Water is cheap, even river water. The revenue potential derived from hauling it for the Oil and Gas industry far exceeds the cost to buy it from anyone with a water right. There is no reason to steal water for Oil and Gas operations. The cost to haul it will be by far the major expense. Stealing water will not significantly reduce water hauling costs.
Even if you are correct on costs, you aren't factoring in the time it takes to get a water right decreed. Garfield County had a 50% increase in drilling permits issued between 2004 and 2005, and has had 20-25% increases in each subsequent year. Its naive to think that decreed water rights are keeping pace with the rate of new gas exploration and development. Plus, if there is little to no enforcement, why would a hauler bother with a water right?

DownValleyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #33

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownValleyTrash View Post
Even if you are correct on costs, you aren't factoring in the time it takes to get a water right decreed. Garfield County had a 50% increase in drilling permits issued between 2004 and 2005, and has had 20-25% increases in each subsequent year. Its naive to think that decreed water rights are keeping pace with the rate of new gas exploration and development. Plus, if there is little to no enforcement, why would a hauler bother with a water right?
Do you really believe the Water Hauling Companies providing water for the Oil and Gas Industry are stealing water because they did not have time to acquire the proper decree? I do realize that someone can put a pump in the river and take water but I do not think a lot of very large trucks with Company Logo's and Names on them are illegally pumping water out of the River every day. That is just an opinion, I have no facts to prove otherwise. I personnally would never do that and I would like to think others also would not.

I do think the number of wells being permited and the rate of drilling in this State is way to high. The Industry does not have the resources to continue at this pace and they are making mistakes that would not occur if more time were taken to plan and drill each well. Lets all advocate a slow down.

The amount of fresh water required for drilling operations is very small compared to other industries and residential consumers. I am not worried about that issue. I am worried about the amount of produced water from Oil and Coal Bed Methane wells. They produce millions of barrels of water and almost all of it is classified as waste water. Some of it is not and could be used by others. They are wasting more produced potable water than they are using because it easier to classify all of it as waste water and dispose of it. They inject waste water into reservoirs located below the fresh water aquifers. If the casing in an injection well leaks then it can contaminate those fresh water aquifers. The regulatory agencies make each operator file reports proving those injection wells are not leaking so each operator is required to find and fix the leaks. But you have to have a leak and contaminate a given radius around the wellbore before you can fix the problem. Lets address that issue.
wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #34

C. Springs, Colorado
This is a little off topic...Butttt...how many of you have heard of Project Rulison?

High Country News -- March 7, 2005: Drilling Could Wake a Sleeping Giant
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #35

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Regarding Crocket's highly conservative estimate of 150 acre-feet per year for the oilfield support trucks

A couple of things to consider:

1) Senior Western Slope water rights probably go for $10K - $15K per acre-foot (This isn't the cost of each af of water, its the cost the right to take that much water from the river each year)

2) Oil companies have already been buying up senior water rights all around the Western Slope for years in anticipation of the massive amounts of water they'll need when oil shale extraction goes into high gear.

Its highly doubtful that they're taking the water without a decree.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #36

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
Actually that was not my estimate. I have no idea what is being pumped out of the river or who is pumping it.

As far as water rights. Chevron donated a substantial amount of water from the Gunnison basin about 10 or 15 years ago when they made a decision to get out of that area.

Chevron, Exxon, BP and Shell have substantial mineral and water rights in this state. Chevron's date back to the 1940's. I suspect the others do also. The Federal Government needed oil for World War II. As an incentive to get oil Companies to develop it they made concessions.

I would not be surprised to here that Ecana, Noble and other large independents are buying water but the majors have owned it for many years.
wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #37
Extreme Duckineer

Tick Ridge, Colorado
Boy has this gotten off topic....

you guys sure have a lot of faith and goodwill toward the energy industry....easier to do if they're not drilling in your backyard, I suppose.

if you're going to assume that water isn't being stolen because the industry has been buying up water rights in anticipation of future use, ask someone who knows Colorado water law about "use it or lose it" and the "anti-speculation doctrine"

fwiw: I've actually never seen a tanker truck with a company logo on it...they're usually all white.
DownValleyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #38

Is that tanker still there?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #39

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
should have been removed last week!!
Brushfire830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #40

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
Photo Op

Someone needs to get down there and pull a couple of splatwheels on that bad boy!! I would love to see a picture of just one boof