Old 07-07-2008   #21

Professional Transient, See above.
Insurance

I would think (meaning I don't know) that part of the trucking companies insurance would pay for some of the clean up fees, if they're charged any by the government anyway.
A buddy of mine is a trucker. He said most of the larger trucking companies run either $1 million or $5 million per truck. I forget which. Of course, I doubt that is all for cleanup, but I'd think it'd chip in.

Just a thought.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #22

Yea, getting that truck out would be real tricky. It's not worth risking anyone's life, since noone has practice doing this.

The water rights question is a good one. But, tanker trucks probably can't take a significant amount of water. Those trucks probably aren't taking more than 5-10 cfs on average. 10 cfs will probably fill a tanker truck in 10-30 minutes.

Yea, this is negligence and the company should pay to pull that sucker out.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #23

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Somebody go splat it and get some pictures..... tire splat would be sick
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #24

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
How many Z-drags does it take to pull a tanker out?
Old 07-07-2008   #25
Extreme Duckineer

Tick Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
The water rights question is a good one. But, tanker trucks probably can't take a significant amount of water. Those trucks probably aren't taking more than 5-10 cfs on average. 10 cfs will probably fill a tanker truck in 10-30 minutes.
dosen't matter how much or how little water tanker trucks take...they need a water right to do so. Hell, you need a water right to collect rainwater in Colo.
Some drillers & support companies have water rights, some don't. Needless to say, if there isn't a call on the river - and even if there is - enforcement is pretty lax. That's not to say water commisioners dont do a good job most of the time, but the drillers are running those water trucks 24/7, literally.

And if you think they steal a lot of water now (and make no mistake, they do) jus wait 'til oil shale ramps up.
DownValleyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #26
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
You don't need a diver or a crane. It's flowing 11K. Just wait until it goes down to <5K in September and you'll be able to have surface personnel attach multiple heavy tow cables from multiple heavy tow trucks, then just winch it out very slowly. Unless some governmental agency tells them they must remove it immediately because it is a hazard to navigation or something...
Old 07-07-2008   #27
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownValleyTrash View Post
And if you think they steal a lot of water now (and make no mistake, they do) jus wait 'til oil shale ramps up.
We can only hope oil shale ramps up, but for now, it is still banned by law.
Old 07-07-2008   #28

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
truck in the river

Okay... I am bored so I will contribute.

1) If the truck in the River was hauling fresh water for the Oil and Gas Industry. It probably belongs to a Water Hauling Company not an Oil or Drilling company. The company that owns the truck will be on a Vendor approved list maintained by the Oil Company or the the Drilling Company. Oil Companies do not use Vendors unless they are on their vendor approved list. You do not get on that list unless you prove that you have enough insurance to cover liability from accidents, and demonstrate that you operate safely. The Oil Companies do not want to pay for accidents that their Vendors can not afford to remedy.

2) Water is cheap, even river water. The revenue potential derived from hauling it for the Oil and Gas industry far exceeds the cost to buy it from anyone with a water right. There is no reason to steal water for Oil and Gas operations. The cost to haul it will be by far the major expense. Stealing water will not significantly reduce water hauling costs.

3) If the truck posed a hazard there would be a response team on location 24/7. When it is safe to remove the truck it will be removed.

Maybe before they move it is will shift and create a nice play spot .
wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #29

water consumption adds up quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post

Lets do some fuzzy math

Full size tanker truck = 7000 gallons
1 acre foot of water = 325,851 gallons

Let's be conservative and say an average of 20 (I'd bet it's closer to 30-40) trucks per day fill from the river that equals 140,000 gals per day.
Say they fill their trucks 350 days per year, that equals almost 50,000,000 gals of water per year.
That is 153 acre feet of water, or enough water to supply apx 765,000 average person user days or more than 2000 years worth of water for a single person. (Residential Water Use) or approximately 3% of Boulder's residential water consumption for an entire year. (www.ci.boulder-city.nv.us/FYIColumns/March%2022%202007.pdf)

I don't know about you but I think that is a lot of water. I just thought a little fuzzy math on water usage might be useful for water aware boaters.
Old 07-07-2008   #30

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
more math

Ok... Lets do some more math based on the link below. The State of Colorado used 5.35 million acre-ft of water to irrigate the top 5 crops in 1995 verse the estimated 153 acre-ft that maybe hauled from the river by those trucks.

http://www.cde.state.co.us/artemis/a...99INTERNET.pdf

So....

153/5,350,000,000 * 100 = .0029% of the amount used for ag. 13 years ago. I am gonna guess they will use more water for crops in 2008.

I am not sure what the city of Boulder allows the typical household but I have a well on my property and have the right to withdraw 1 acre-ft per year. So those trucks are taking the equivalent of 153 domestic wells supplying 153 homes. So how many domestic water wells do you think they have in Colorado?

I do understand your concern but 153 acre-ft is not a lot of water usage in Colorado compared to other applications. We should all conserve water but suggesting that 152 acre-ft it is being wasted by one group seems unfair to me.

I think if we can get everyone in the state to not take a shower tomorrow or not water their lawn we can make up more than the 152 acre-ft that provide a way for a few families to make a living on the western slope.

wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote