Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 12-16-2010   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Support Flow Restoration on the Dolores River - Take Action!

I just saw this on AWA's Website and thought that I would throw it up here for everyone to take a look at in the off season. I know I would like to see a season or a longer season on the Dolores, so... Take a look.
American Whitewater - Support Flow Restoration on the Dolores River - Take Action!

markinsteamboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think this is a great idea in theory, but I would really like to hear what AW proposes for an operation plan. It would literally take an act of congress to take more project water downstream. I think there is some room for improvement on how McPhee is filled (timing and operations), but nobody can create more water and you can't really take project water away from the irrigators.

I think we would all like to see more downstream flows, but I really would like to know what AW would like to do specifically in the context of the Dolores Project.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Good Link

Thanks for providing a link for signing on to this petition. Its ridiculous what has happened to the Dolores and has happened to many rivers through out the west. It only takes a minute to sign the petition and support AW efforts to restore the Delores. IMHO one of the finest runs in the country. As far as what AW operation plan is, I think if you take a minute to follow the link provided it's self explanatory.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #4

Mad Scientist/Creeker
rivermanryan - I'm involved with AW on this project and though they have many goals, one of the main objectives is to use the optimum whitewater flows they identified through a recent survey (that I'm hoping everyone participated in) to improve the timing and notification process for when McPhee actually does spill. Through the survey it is apparent that many paddling days are missed simply through the operators not having a reliable prediction process and because there is no plan in place to help manage existing flows to the benefit of paddlers. The specifics of the plan will be released soon but by signing the letter you are confirming the need for there to be a better plan to manage Dolores River flows for recreation, as well as ecological needs, whether that is through recreational releases, minimum instream flows, spring flushes or a variety of other flow management tools.