Old 05-03-2010   #1

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Strainer Total Blockage on Lower Blue

Sometime during the last 6 days a tree with approximately an 18-24" base diameter dropped perpendicularly and entirely across the Lower Blue River at the Big Bend in Green Mountain canyon several hundred yards down from the parking lot. The broken branches sticking up from the strainer are up to 5-6' all the way across the river. A lot of the strainer is exposed above the 110 cfs water.

There is no passage possible, imo.

The top of the strainer is lodged between 2 boulders and it appears unlikely, imo, that runoff flow will affect its dislodgment. In recent years the flow has been as high as 2700 cfs or so in mid June.

Because of its location downstream and out of sight from the parking lot, it is possible that boaters who are unaware of this blockage may find themselves in a difficult situation not only because they may float down in floatable water and not see the strainer until they've come around the bend and are pretty much just upstream of it but also if a boater goes down they'll have to portage the boat back up and that ain't a pretty picture.

One of the other fishermen had a camera. I asked him to take pics and email them to me but I haven't received them.

Another thing to note is that, according to Summit County Assessor maps, this strainer is smack dab in the middle of the only private property on both sides of the river in the entire canyon. The tree stump is either on,inside or just outside the boundary line. For anyone who may try to remove the strainer from the river, you may want to consider confirming this info before proceding.

Since I'm a wade fisherman rather than a boater, it probably would be a good idea for some boaters to walk down, check it out and report back on this thread. Also, a sign at the parking lot may be a good idea but that's probably up to USFS or Bureau of Reclamation. I'll probably contact Kara but others may do so also.

Again, imo, ain't nobody floating over that strainer at any cfs anytime soon.

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Thank you. Good post. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but I'm curious about the tree fall. Was it clearly an act of nature or was there perhaps some human assistance? Just asking....

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue View Post
Thank you. Good post. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but I'm curious about the tree fall. Was it clearly an act of nature or was there perhaps some human assistance? Just asking....
The dead tree splintered off from the trunk several feet up from the ground and appears, from looking at the trunk from the far shore, that it was an act of nature. I wondered the same thing when I first saw it. Closer inspection, however, should be made.
Old 05-04-2010   #4

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Contact the Dillon Ranger District 970 468 5700. They should have someone who knows how to handle removal from a property owner conflict point of view.
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #5

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Doe's anyone want to meet up and help remove this tree.This weekend or even during the week before c.f.s come up. I have a chainsaw and raft,kayak,or even drysuit to wade and remove this problem. Lance.......970-393-2900
LanceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #6

Took some pics of the strainer today with someone else's camera. May get them Friday or so.

Also, USFS Dillon and Kara at Bur Rec has been contacted. Kara replied that releases will stay low til a "physical fill" of the res by late June/early July. Don't know if she meant it'll stay at its present 100 cfs levels or ???.
Old 05-05-2010   #7

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If a posse forms to deal with this soon, give me a buzz. I'm located in Blue River, have the gear to go and help, but no saw. Same story for my roommate, but he also has a 14' raft we might be able to trick him into adding to the action. (970) 376-2946. Let's get this out while we still can. Thanks.
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #8

It's still there. Flow in the pics was around 100 cfs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0008.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	989.0 KB
ID:	2631   Click image for larger version

Name:	0009.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	2632  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0010.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2633  
Old 05-21-2010   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
wow, that's ugly. Do you know if the other tree is still down below the "wall" rapid?
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #10

The flow's presently running at around 500 cfs, according to the Blue River below Green Mountain gauge, plus 85 cfs from Elliot Creek, according to its gauge. Boaters may choose to scout before lowering the boat to river level.