Old 06-05-2010   #21

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyT View Post
Ran it today in my kayak...above 1K. Several trees in the river but easy to see and pass except the one below wall rapid is the worst. It falls where there are still a lot of big waves at this level. If you had a swimmer at wall (which I have seen many times), it would be very sketchy! I would not take a newbie down this run just in case. Rafts should be fine...stay way left. It comes up on you fast.
What time of day/flow cfs (see gauge) did you run at the wall? The following pics were taken 9/8/09 at around 800 cfs. How about describing the location of the second strainer and if the pictured strainer has moved since the pic was taken. I'm wondering if the river wide strainer is lodged or can move downstream into the upper of the two structures.

Any current pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1008.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	2686   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1009.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	728.2 KB
ID:	2687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1010.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	767.2 KB
ID:	2688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1011.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	823.7 KB
ID:	2689  

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #22

Dumont, you wouldn't like it here, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rivers View Post
What time of day/flow cfs (see gauge) did you run at the wall? The following pics were taken 9/8/09 at around 800 cfs. How about describing the location of the second strainer and if the pictured strainer has moved since the pic was taken. I'm wondering if the river wide strainer is lodged or can move downstream into the upper of the two structures.

Any current pics?
It was 1200 cfs when we ran it. From what I remember, and I may not be the best judge, the tree has moved downstream more and is not as angled so it's blocking more of the river than before. Sorry no pics. I'm not sure if it will eventually give and go downstream. It may take a lot more cfs. I hope so though.

abbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #23

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Abby- I think that the strainer from last year is still in the same spot and the one that is perpendicular to the flow is a new one. It's about 50 yards past the old strainer.
mulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #24

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Hey, ran it again Sunday morning. Strainer is now swept into the first diversion dam, dead center, parallel to current. Easier and safer for sure, its is safe to run either side of it at the dam. Running it tomorrow too, will post any changes.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #25

Denver, Colorado
We ran the Blue yesterday (6/6/2010) and all river-wide strainers are GONE! That nasty tree below the gorge has moved downstream and is now hung up on the second weir. It is stuck parallel to the river only blocking a small part left of center. I would run the second weir right of center or walk it on river right. There were two other trees between the put-in and the gorge, but both are mostly parallel to the river and very easily avoided.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #26

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
All strainers totally gone as of 6/9 @2100 cfs. The new one, last years, all of them gone (not just moved out of the way, GONE). Enjoy!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #27

Front Range, Colorado
Hey guys-
Thanks for all the great info....I just stumbled upon the forum! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how big you can float the Blue, down to Trough Rd? I have run it at 1400-1600 and things get a bit tight at some of the bridges....just wondering what the situation is at 2K+.
Thanks!
FloatnFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #28

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
As high as it gets I would think. I've boated it at 2400 and it was nice, just big waves and the dams get a little funny in spots but I don't think there to much danger in there as long as the wood is gone

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote