Old 06-02-2010   #11

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Any more updates on this?I think I'm running it today.

conative33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #12

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
From the picture it didn't look like the tree was hung up on anything, I wouldn't be suprised if it flushed downstream with the increase in flows. However, be extra cautious and let us know what you see.

Old 06-02-2010   #13

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rivers View Post
The flow's presently running at around 500 cfs, according to the Blue River below Green Mountain gauge, plus 85 cfs from Elliot Creek, according to its gauge. Boaters may choose to scout before lowering the boat to river level.
Disregard the Elliot Creek cfs gauge mentioned in my previous post as its location is for the canal that flows into the GM res above the dam rather than for Elliot creek that flows into the river below the dam. However, the BR Below GM gauge for below the dam is showing 597 as of 10 am today, Wednesday, June 2.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Any word on the strain of the situation? Might be headed there tomorrow with a 16' cat.

Thanks
mulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #15

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulex View Post
Any word on the strain of the situation? Might be headed there tomorrow with a 16' cat.

Thanks
Talked to a couple guys at the take out on the Blue just up from the confluence who told me they had rafted through the canyon. Saw 3 other cars parked there so maybe those guys were rafting through the canyon, too. The flows yesterday were around 600 and then 800 cfs after around noon or so and are going up, according to BoRec, progressively to 1400 by Saturday. It's now 956 cfs as of today's 10 am reading.

Anyone boating the canyon may still want to go down and scout, however, as the increased flows may move and re-position the downed trees. Maybe take some pics too. Also, the broken limbs may be exposed and/or submerged just under the surface presenting different situations than at the lower flows. See the pics. It's about a 10 minute hike to the upper strainer location as described in previous posts and pics.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #16

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Anyone rafting the Blue this weekend 6-5 and 6-6-how does the tree look in current flow? Karen
Kpavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #17
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Going tomorrow afternoon in kayak... kayaks can skirt it pretty easy if it hasn't moved, right?
Old 06-05-2010   #18

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Just did it today @1k cfs. There is a river wide tree below the wall, just below the old tree in the middle from last season which is also still there, but well above the first diversion dam. It blocks about 4/5ths of the river width, but can be easily floated over by raft or kayak on far river left at this level or above (I kayaked and watched a raft clear it as well). Looks to me like it is going to be there for a while. I doubt the predicted flows to 1400 will have an effect. Overall it is still easy and safe so long as you aren't swimming. Canyon was beautiful!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #19

Denver, Colorado
We got around that strainer below the wave train pretty easily in a raft. That upper strainer pictured in this thread is gone.
mulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #20

Dumont, you wouldn't like it here, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
tree below wall rapid

Ran it today in my kayak...above 1K. Several trees in the river but easy to see and pass except the one below wall rapid is the worst. It falls where there are still a lot of big waves at this level. If you had a swimmer at wall (which I have seen many times), it would be very sketchy! I would not take a newbie down this run just in case. Rafts should be fine...stay way left. It comes up on you fast.

abbyT is offline   Reply With Quote