Old 06-05-2012   #1
State Bridge River Access Update - YAY!

Hey River Rats, it is with great pleasure I can announce that the State Bridge River Access (located on the east side of CO HWY 131 right before you cross the bridge when driving north), will be open to public use starting the morning of Friday, June 8th.

This project represents an enormous accomplishment for Eagle County Open Space and has involved highly dedicated and professional staff from many departments, as well as many project partners. Of course, the Eagle County Commissioners and the Open Space Advisory Committee deserve enormous credit for allowing us to take the program in a somewhat new direction.

FYI - the site will be managed primarily by the BLM through a Memorandum of Understanding. Camping is not allowed and the property is managed by an on-site staff person (she is new, so be nice to her!). There is significant camping on nearby BLM land. Use of the property requires a $3 fee per vehicle, but if you pay at one of the other BLM sites (such as Radium or Pumphouse) you will not have to also pay at State Bridge River Access.

The contractor has already started mobilizing to Two Bridges River Access (4 miles downstream) and will begin work there shortly. Two Bridges will remain closed to public use during the construction period, which will likely take at least six weeks. Stay tuned on that.

Eagle County will continue making improvements to State Bridge River Access and we are already anitcipating a Phase II at some point in the future. If you like the work we are doing please respond to this thread. I promise, good words do make a difference and I will be sure to print them out and share them.

Happy boating and see you on El Rio!

Toby Spunk
Eagle County Open Space

tsprunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #2
Golden, Colorado
Toby, Thanks to all who have a part in this. Other counties could take lessons from Eagle County. You guys are great!

OldFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This is a great improvement and a wonderful acheivement! Thanks to all who have worked so hard, with foresight, to a growing community. I look forward to spending time (and money!) in Eagle County.

P.S. Perhaps another thread about the nearby camping so this one doesn't get jacked.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #4
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
haven't been up there this year , but pumphouse to state bridge is a run I do a lot, normally. The whole thing sounds awesome and is definitely appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to take out on a nice ramp, and not get charged a different price each time.
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #5
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Drove by there today. It is looking very nice and I hope to use it soon! Thanks for keeping the status up to date. Great work Eagle County!
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #6

Awesome to see Eagle County preserving river access for future generations!!
glax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #7
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
State Bridge

Thanks Toby. Much needed improvements and thanks also to the Eagle County Commissioners for their support for these projects.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #8
avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Was up there Last weekend and the site is awesome. Can't believe it has concrete all the way into the water even at these low levels. Looks like there may also be running water to clean off boats.

Toby, is the $15 BLM annual pass going to work there too?
14' NRS Expedition
hawktoy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #9
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I can't wait to raft down to State Bridge again! We started taking out at Rancho and missing some of the fun wave trains on the SB section because it was too expensive to take out river left and WAY too far of a carry (plus getting under the RR bridge!) to take our river right.

So stoked! Thanks Toby!
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #10
summit, Colorado
Have to admit, I'll miss the peace and quiet of floating from Rancho to State this spring in little boats (small enough to take out under the bridge river right) while the ramp was closed....but YAY for getting the crazy guy out of there and making the improvements!!!!!!!!!! I'm curious what "Phase II" might involve???

basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote