Old 08-09-2013   #31
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
State Bridge has been a shitshow on the weekends for a long time. Eagle county has tried to relieve some of the pressure by obtaining downriver parcels and making more river miles accesible. Time will tell if this approach works but it is great considering the other option is to limit access. I think the OP was trying to make a point but I have never seen anything as blatantly disrespectful as described. Perhaps uninformed, but open to suggestion.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #32
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Process of elimination, population control... I always pick up what others leave... I do speak my mind when I see these genetic mishaps... I average 40 plus days a year on that stretch... it is my home... I don't mind the party going etc.. I do however dislike trash, glass, and people that cant handle their liquor... but eventually those people will be in jail or die or something.. and that's not my problem.. they know better.. everyone does.. even if they say they don't.. its still their fault for not researching pfds stretches etc.. if you cant handle the crowds.. the party crowd. go somewhere else.. it is what it is.. weekends are more crowded, holidays too... no shit... people drink on the river... no shit... and stuff happens... no shit... no one is making you go.. and to change the freedom is stupid.. just get the glass off the river... enforce pfds no matter what you are doing... get rangers on put ins and takeouts on the weekends, holidays busy times etc.. or have one atleast driving from spot to spot and checking them throughout the day.. this is not rocket science..

Minturn Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #33
Donkey Town, Colorado
That's why I bring my AK on the weekends, it's always a shitshow ask politely if they don't move back up and start screaming they always move... If not, a flash of the AK always works
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #34
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
I know a guy that rolls the same way. If I remember correctly, his name is Mike Lowry. (?)

Anyways, to the OP:
I think what you saw is either the extreme (rare) end of the spectrum or you're exaggerating. Like many others, I've run that stretch a ton and have never seen naked people, disorderly drunks AND littering all in the same day. Boat etiquette is definitely a problem up there but like others, I just start backing down and the raft hatch usually scatters like roaches. They move pretty quick if and when they think you're going to back right on into their stuff. If that doesn't work, just show 'em the hand cannon. Or in Mike Lowry's case...the AK.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #35
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
I can only say that "back in the day" there wasn't a ramp at either Pump house or State Bridge. Everyone seemed to always get along, except that it started to become a race to see who could get to the bench first and claim it for their group. That was a bit unprofessional perhaps, to send one of your boats racing downstream at first light, but then at that time, there was the Bench, the upper bench, lone tree and Rancho for camping, and usually more overnight groups than that.

As to nakedness; well, yeah, naked was considered good fun, as long as people behaved themselves, and drinking was considered as basic as wearing a life jacket, but drunks were easily corralled and controlled.

Now, we got ramps and a zillion more people out there every weekend.............odds are, you're gonna have some trailer trash show up. No need for an arsenal, these loosers generally back right up with their attitude when more than a couple responsible citizens are wearing knives and willing to politely explain proper conduct.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #36
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You don't have to be an asshole about backing down a ramp into a shitshow.

Just back down with a big ol' shit-eating grin and tell them "thanks!" when you pass them.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #37
El Chupanibre
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
At the ramps, we always lend a hand to others, strike up conversations with like minded individuals (other serious boaters). We rarely have issues at Pumphouse or any other put in or take out. State Bridge has always been a problem, the landing is small, no room for more than a boat or 2, but it is way better than it used to be. The addition of 2 Bridges has been really nice. If I want solitude or a wilderness experience I'll head to the Owyhee. For the relaxing booze cruise the upper C is still one of my favorites.

OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote