Old 04-15-2010   #11

Mad Scientist/Creeker
The above course is just the kind of course that IMO is the norm for the Rescue 3 courses as opposed to Cooljerk's courses which appear to be more tailored towards paddlers.

Old 04-15-2010   #12

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
First of all I would like to say that, to the best of my knowledge, Lifesaving Resources is in no way affiliated with Rescue 3 International or their curriculum. It troubles me to see Lifesaving Resources using similar course titles which seems to add to the confusion for prospective students looking for a course appropriate for their needs.

As an example, I donít think itís fair to compare Lifesaving Resources 8 hour WRT with Rescue 3 Internationals 24 to 30 hour Whitewater Rescue Technician. It seems disingenuous and misleading to say the least.

I also donít think itís fair to call that the norm for Rescue 3ís curriculum, instructors and classes. Students interested in experienced boater based Rescue 3 instructors need only look at instructors like Chris Jonason at Wave Trek Rescue, Julie Munger and Abigail Polsby at Sierra Rescue (both Rescue 3 Instructors of the year), Mike Mather at Mather Rescue, Brandon Holmes at Elite Swiftwater and the list goes on. (Iíll add that Iím quite proud of the instructor resumes for the instructors at Sawatch Rescue as well).

Becoming an instructor for Rescue 3 is a long process, as true competence takes many years and hundreds of hours of training and practice to achieve (as opposed to ACA and Lifesaving Resources where you can go from Ďzero to heroí and certify as an instructor in 3 to 4 days).

Our goals are to match students with the courses that best suit their needs, encourage challenge by choice through active participation in real rescue scenarios and provide the best possible swiftwater rescue training available. I feel that these goals can best be accomplished by offering technical rescue courses developed and certified by Rescue 3 International.

If students feel that an ACA course would be more appropriate or better suit their needs we can provide ACA instruction as well.

I think all of the above emphasizes the merit of my previous suggestion that anyone interested in attending a swiftwater rescue course clearly express their goals in attending the course, ask questions, talk to students that have taken courses from that instructor, ask for references and of course find a class that suits their needs.

Whatever path boaters choose to embark on, I encourage everyone to ask questions, get and stay informed and become competent in the basics of water rescue.

Eric Young,
Instructor
Sawatch Rescue
719-221-6716
sawatchrescue@gmail.com

cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #13

Mad Scientist/Creeker
That was seriously misleading. WRT course is not Whitewater Rescue Technician, it's just Water Rescue Technician? Heres another W acronym - WTF Lifesaving Resources!

You're right Eric, that was unfair to call that the norm and there our great Rescue 3 instructors out there. I've also just seen first hand and heard way to many stories of Rescue 3 courses being designed for firefighters not paddlers so I apologize if I've come off jaded. I also would not recommend just signing up for any ACA rescue course offered. There is the zero to hero chance, as you are correct that you can become a certified instructor in 4 days, however I think ALL of our instructors would resent being lumped into that category as they are all very accomplished paddlers with extensive river knowledge, who have safely navigated some of the most difficult rivers on the planet and who have successfully participated in numerous real life rescue situations. No amount of training can really compensate for real world experience IMO.

ACA has allowed us at Downstream Edge to come up with unique rescue courses that can be adapted to paddling groups and which are almost completely scenario based. They also allow us to offer a more affordable course for the average paddler. The courses have been designed over a number of years for paddlers by paddlers and this is definitely not the case with all ACA or Rescue 3 courses and I would venture that we are both in agreement about that.
Old 04-15-2010   #14

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Well stated Evan. I couldnít agree more.

For the record, Iíve heard nothing but great things about the affordable kayak specific courses offered by Downstream Edge.

Give me a shout if you ever want to stop by during one of our courses. I think you might leave with an appreciation of what we have to offer as well.

Stay safe.

Eric
sawatchrescue@gmail.com

cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aca, rescue, srt, swiftwater, wrt