Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2015   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I think its a road closure issue too. Sounds like the river is up on the road and eroding its banks in several spots. My guess is that they have the right to close roads, which would limit access to paddlers and that its probably a good idea to stay out of road closures. There is a lot of good water to run right now, and the loss of waterton, deckers, and foxton is acceptable in my opinion, where actual road impacts are happening.

What is not acceptable in my opinion is the broad closure of the north fork of the south platte in jefferson county, which means Bailey would be closed as it crossed the park , jeffco line during the run. The roads to and from the bailey run are not impacted, and bailey is perfectly fine for experienced kayakers at current levels.

I have a call in to the Sheriff's office to speak to them about this.

Old 06-18-2015   #12
I agree that they can close the roads, but I question their authority to close the river for whitewater crafts:

the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and the Douglas County Sheriff's Office have closed the South Platte River and the North Fork of the South Platte River ... to all recreational use, including tubing, rafting, kayaking, fishing and swimming.
They reference CS 33-13-111 which clearly states ""vessels" shall not include whitewater canoes and kayaks..."

Check out the facebook post:

Old 06-18-2015   #13
Divide, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Robana, good investigating. I agree with your opinion. I do recall that Boulder Creek has been closed in the past, when there have been drownings. Right or wrong, the local authorities cringe at more rescues for drown victims. Seems this is the reason these river sections are closed. Lots of rivers up now... a good time for a road trip. and,...
Question Authority. jt
jill tip
Old 06-18-2015   #14
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Water was def on the road in 3 -4 places on Foxton Sunday. The road has crumbled into the rio in those spots. Super Fun and splashy run.

F- the police get some!
Old 06-18-2015   #15
Lakewood, Colorado
"Multi-chambered river boards and kayaks"

So single chambered kayaks are OK?
Old 06-18-2015   #16
Update From CWA:
Earlier today, CW, in conjunction with AW, contacted the Jefferson County attorney's office and the Douglas County Sheriff about the River Closure Order, closing certain sections of the South Platter River to all recreational users. They agreed that under C.R.S. Sec. 33-13-111, the river closure order should not apply to whitewater canoes and kayaks. Jefferson County has issued an amended river closure order that exempts whitewater canoes, kayaks, multi-chambered professionally guided rafts, and multi-chambered river boards. Douglas County will do the same.
You should know that even though the order was overbroad, the Assistant Jefferson County Attorney with whom I spoke and Sheriff Spurlock responded to our concerns promptly and quickly amended the order to comply with the statute.
Have Fun. Be Safe.
Patrick Tooley
CW Board Member
Colorado Whitewater Association Revised Closure Order:

These Temporary Waterway Restrictions, dated and executed below, supersedes all previous Waterway restrictions and closures.

Pursuant to Colorado Statute 33-13-111, the Sheriff of Jefferson County is prohibiting the use of all single-chambered air inflated devices, such as belly boats, inner tubes, and single chambered rafts, "body surfers", and swimming.

Exemptions approved under these Temporary Waterway Restrictions:
• Kayaks and white water canoes.
• Multi-chambered professional guided rafts.
• Multi-chambered river boards.
• NOTE: All of the above users and occupants must have the following:
Use of a Type 1, Type Ill, or Type V Coast Guard approved paddling life jacket and a water use designed helmet.
(A life jacket is non-serviceable if it is of an improper size, missing legible US Coast Guard approval information, is an improper type for the activity, an after-market alteration has been made, or if the life jacket is ripped, torn, or missing straps or buckles. Horse-collar type life jackets and ski and fishing vests are not

Kayakers and other exempted users are strongly encouraged to observe caution.

Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute 33-13-111 (3), the penalty for violating this restriction is a class 2 petty offense and will result in a fine of $100.00.

These Temporary Waterway Restrictions will become effective at 11:00 A.M. on June
1 2015, and shall remain in effect until superseded or repealed.

Executed this 18th day of June 2015, at 11:00 A.M.
Old 06-18-2015   #17
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community and a good opportunity for everyone to understand the CO statute. Bailey is back open for business!
Evan Stafford American Whitewater - Southern Rockies Representative
Old 06-18-2015   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey folks - there's another thread on the same topic with good info, so this thread is being closed. to keep up with what's going on with the closure, please click this link to access the thread "Amended River Closure Order on South Platte" started by Patrick Tooley of CW.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Closed Thread