Old 08-08-2011   #11

Mad Scientist/Creeker
I can't resist anymore after seeing you goons at Tunnel today. WTF. You guys are bunch of gigantic pie holes for thinking that modifying the river is necessary in this instance. Yes, this is as nice as I can say it. The river is wide, make a move around it. It's that simple and as far as I can tell it will only be a problem for a very small flow window.

At first I could understand because it appeared to be an unnatural hazard, a car door or shopping cart or something, but then when you found out it was just a rock you still have been trying to remove it. While you're at it could you please move the rock in Whiteline back to where it was before. It doesn't form that sweet waterfall anymore and now it's in the runout making the line much harder to run cleanly. I got seriously back-endered in there today and had to owe Austin Ice Cream and that sucks so, as long as we're at it let's get that thing back to where it "should" be.

Old 08-08-2011   #12

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said.

Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #13

Bellvue, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Actions To Be (And Not To Be) Taken

Posted originally in the Forum titled "Moving Rock in Tunnel, Poudre"
Just thought you should know-

While scrolling through the six pages of philosophical discussion, mud slinging, ethical questions and insults has been entertaining, there are two things to remember-
1) This new hazard is a Life Safety issue, not a profit issue
2) The ultimate decision of what, if anything, is to be done about this hazard rests with the owner/steward of our beloved Poudre- the USFS

The issue of this new and dangerous feature, as well as this forum, is not only on the radar of the USFS, it has made it to the To-Do list.

A local USFS representative has asked me to post on the various social media forums I am involved with a simple request to those concerned about this rock- Please do not attempt to remove, blast, fill, turn or alter in any other way this rock. The USFS intends to take action to mitigate this new life safety hazard in a safe, controlled and legal fashion.

Nobody said they are “moving” the rock (Gannon). At this point, they may not know exactly how they are going to mitigate the hazard. Knowing the folk at the local level, I believe it will be done in the most ethical and environmentally friendly way, affecting the local habitat, the streambed and the “Line” as little as possible.

As a member of emergency services and an avid boater of this very stretch of river, I support the decision to mitigate this new life safety issue- legally.

So, save your dynamite, big ass trucks, z-drags, concrete and sledgehammers. As for the recommendation of a 12 pack, bring it on up and let’s boat!

Camp Falbo is offline   Reply With Quote