Old 05-16-2011   #51

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It does suck that the access was closed, people who live in the roaring fork valley are not the only ones who are "entitled" to being upset over it. Why does it matter if someone lives on the front range, that does not automatically give you a reason to be incredibly rude to them. After all tourism is the ONLY industry that keeps this town running.

So anyone that is upset about Shoshone being closed this gives us an opportunity to run some other interesting stuff at record flow. Cemetery will peak above 10,000 this year and the crystal will be huge. You will be able to float from Basalt (or higher) to New Castle (or lower) in record time.

Maybe we start a race day! Basalt to Rifle at peak, last one there buys first round at the brewery. Who's in?

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #52
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Ran it Saturday @ 1500, I see it went up to 2000 +( the westbank down) which is still a fun level if you go. And hell then you get to run the Wave and South Canyon and if you need to kill a little more time you can float to dinosaur rock which is fun run if you hit it the right way on the right side when it gets bigger. I ran my 156r and had no issues with it and it is just going to get bigger, well if the sun stays out which it's not going to it seems. But hey the eagle is going to go off and so is the blue. I kind like not having the "shoshone to where ever sounds good" every weekend blinders on
Yeah it sucks about the closure but now that the road is torn up

Old 05-16-2011   #53

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
That came off way harsher than I intended. I meant to go with light teasing and it did sound more like a frontal assault of the foundation of your being. My mistake.
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #54
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
It does suck that the access was closed, people who live in the roaring fork valley are not the only ones who are "entitled" to being upset over it. Why does it matter if someone lives on the front range, that does not automatically give you a reason to be incredibly rude to them. After all tourism is the ONLY industry that keeps this town running.

So anyone that is upset about Shoshone being closed this gives us an opportunity to run some other interesting stuff at record flow. Cemetery will peak above 10,000 this year and the crystal will be huge. You will be able to float from Basalt (or higher) to New Castle (or lower) in record time.

Maybe we start a race day! Basalt to Rifle at peak, last one there buys first round at the brewery. Who's in?
We did it last year at peak in 4hrs, but who wants to get off the river quick lets have a who ever gets to take out 1st has to buy the 1st round but we all satr together 1/2 mile befor take out and do anything but push an oar foward, we just gotta use em for keeping us away from hazards.
Old 05-16-2011   #55

x, x
Paddling Since: x
10 more days...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #56

Carbondale, Colorado
10 more days?

Unless something has changed, my understanding is that thet are trying to let commercials through starting in June. Privates not until JULY.

And of course the commercials won't be putting any pressure on them anytime soon, as they don't run at high water.

I personally think people coming out here trying to get on the river is great. The more rigs we have clogging the highway, asking flaggers how to get to Shosone, the better. Might wake CDOT up.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #57

maybe i need to buy a smaller boat to make the fork more interesting. running the lower part of the fork at current levels of under 2k is for me .... boring. even at higher levels cemetary is just too short. shoshone at 10k is AWESOME. when the fork hits runable levels from slaughterhouse down, i will forget about shoshone. right now though, the only big water around is shoshone, with NO ACCESS.
grizzly creek down could be good if the level gets over 15k.

anyone tried to take an atv up the bike path with a boat trailer in tow?

i stand corrected, there is access to shoshone. if you want to disassemble and deflate your boat, pack it upstream a mile, reassemble, reinflate, and deal with the detour, then there is access. i just dont see spending half a day to get a 20 minute run.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #58

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bump - what's the situation at Shoshone and Grizzley?

Here's what CDOT says:

Quote:
CLOSED TO TRAFFIC70 I-70 Eastbound / Westbound Glenwood Canyon Bike Path (Milemarker 123-129)Bike path closed Grizzly Creek to Hanging Lake rest area. High water. Road closure began July 23rd, 2011 at 4:04pm.
Not very enlightening...

Thanks!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #59
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Andy;
The bike path got trashed in between shoshone and hanging lake, actually washed away a good section. The path between grizz and shoshone is walkable/ rideable. It's at a fun level right now but I wish I could of hit it at the peak of the season.
Old 08-13-2011   #60

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Ran the bike shuttle on Shoshone last Sunday, nothin like a little Peddle Paddle Peddle Paddle action.

Tags
access