Old 04-19-2011   #41
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I think we need to build some of these in a brakdown format to hit shoshone @ highwater:

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...els-29631.html

Old 04-19-2011   #42

Oh, those fully break down. Just need an allen wrench. I just haul it put together cause I'm lazy and I got plenty o' room on the trailer. Besides, when it comes to dodging the rafting company traffic, it pays to be ready to go as quick as you can.

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #43

In, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
So when are they going to let us access shoshone? Beginning of June...or July??
ksmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #44
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Beginning of June for commercial although they won't use it until the river drops to a "safe" level. Not until July, at the earliest, for the rest of us.

I was told they would try to allow us access sooner, but they also said they would manage traffic at Grizzly and not allow semis to exit there. So far, semis are allowed to idle all day long in the limited parking spaces.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #45

Dillon, Colorado
Ran Shoshone today and it was surreal! Not a soul in the water. Well worth the walk from Grizzly.
ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #46

i just sent a complaint letter to CDOT. the best water in many years and they have the only access closed, government stupidity at its best. no one drives to glenwood from 2 hours away to run grizzly. and even putting in at grizzly is a pain with the detour.
i didnt believe that the state could have the only access closed, so i went to go run shoshone yesterday. man was i pissed, all the hassle just to run grizzly down? no way, even at high water grizzly down is boring.
shoshone is a great run, but not worth disassembling my boat and packing it a mile up river for a 20 minute run.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #47

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
"i didnt believe that the state could have the only access closed, so i went to go run shoshone yesterday. man was i pissed, all the hassle just to run grizzly down? no way, even at high water grizzly down is boring."

Really?

I guess that makes sense though...One would naturally assume that even though the locals who showed up to negotiate with CDOT at a public hearing over a month ago were unable to barter access, somehow the pylons would miraculously part and the sign crew would lay down the red carpet when when someone from the Front Range went through all the 'hassle' of coming up into the mountains...

But seriously- Use the 'buzz. We posted this info to help the boating community of Denveropolis make informed decisions about where to burn their fossil fuels this summer. Your decision was either completely ignorant, incredibly lazy (if you're kayaking there is no reason you couldn't hike to), or else displayed a sense of entitlement rivaled only by a few tyrannical dictators and certain blond heiresses.
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #48

ignorant? incredibly lazy?

screw you douche bag.

first off i am not from the front range, i have lived in the RFV for 25 years. second, you must not be able to read, i said it was not worth disassembling my boat for a 20 minute run. (not much to disassemble on a kayak). third the hassle is driving in stop and go traffic all the way to hanging lake, then doing a u- turn with a trailer and 4 door truck, then going to grizzly, launching, then trying to find a parking spot, then after the run, doing the detour to hanging lake again to go pick up the truck. fourth, i stated that no one drives 2 hours to run grizzly as a point that the area is losing revenue because the biggest water around is inaccessible. locals spend their money here whether they hit the river or not, some people come here JUST to hit shoshone, with it closed, they go somewhere else.
apparently you think that only "locals" are the ones that have any right to the river. i am local, but that is irrelevant, the local economy is driven by TOURISM, that means, for those of you in Rio Linda, boater and skiers that come here to spend their money.
so in your tiny little mind, i am a "tyannical dictator". if i had prefaced my first post with "i am from glenwood", it seems you may not have posted such a ridiculous and insulting post.

and YES, grizzly is BORING even at high water, if it reaches 15K or so maybe i will feel differently. i have run grizzly in a canoe many times, that is the only way for me that grizzly has any excitement.
so please, keep your holier than thou, i live here and therefore am better than you attitude to yourself.

it is so ridiculous that the state has closed off the only access to the put in for the biggest water in the area during the best run off in years, that i really hoped they would make some kind of arrangement so that rafters could still get on the river. obviously i was wrong, does that make me ignorant, or lazy?
Old 05-16-2011   #49
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
i just sent a complaint letter to CDOT. the best water in many years and they have the only access closed, government stupidity at its best. no one drives to glenwood from 2 hours away to run grizzly. and even putting in at grizzly is a pain with the detour.
i didnt believe that the state could have the only access closed, so i went to go run shoshone yesterday. man was i pissed, all the hassle just to run grizzly down? no way, even at high water grizzly down is boring.
shoshone is a great run, but not worth disassembling my boat and packing it a mile up river for a 20 minute run.
So what part about reading it news papers and here made you think you could just pull up go down the ramp and go for it? Dude go run the Roaring Fork to New Castle or hike your boat up on a dolly. CDOT and their contractor are going to "try to get it" open but everone has to deal with it. There are other rivers to go explore. Oh and before you go why not check to see if you can access it, it'll save you your time
Old 05-16-2011   #50

checked the level on the fork lately? no thanks. when the fork comes up to runable levels, i will run it. the lower fork is not exactly my speed, i dont have a canoe anymore.

my boat is too wide to fit up the bike path anyway, that is if i had a dolly. and i am sure cdot would have a major problem if i took it up the closed highway on a dolly. it is all just mental masturbation anyway, shoshone is good, but not worth the effort to deal with the b.s.

Tags
access