Old 04-08-2011   #31

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ADMIN note: Shoshone threads merged.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #32

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttster View Post
Hey Paco... Can you provide some info on Tom, who does he work for? Does he have enough pull to help, or is he a low level human mail box just there to take calls?
I think he's the go-between between CDOT and the contractor.

He seemed to have some pull, and was talking about potential solutions (such as opening up on weekends.)

Maybe someone who went to the meeting could chime in.

Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #33
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
this is the email I received from Tom Newland of Newland Project Resouces, Inc:

To All:

Thank you for attending the Open House Thursday night. I would like to summarize the issues you all brought up and tell you how we (the project team) will try to address your concerns.

Issues:

The main issue we heard was that the closure of the Shoshone Power Plant Exit (Exit 121) has a large impact on your ability to access the Colorado River for kayaking and rafting. You explained that the Shoshone exit is extremely popular during the time when the project is taking place, primarily because it is the only stretch of river in the general area of Glenwood Springs that has adequate and enjoyable water volumes at this time of year.

I think that you all understood the reasons why CDOT has to close this exit to public access for the duration of the project. To summarize these reasons are:

All traffic is being rerouted to the westbound lanes from No Name to the Hanging Lake Exit. Because the eastbound and westbound lanes are separated vertically in the canyon, these locations are the only place to divert eastbound traffic on to and off of the westbound lanes;
Although access to No Name (Exit 119), Grizzly Creek (Exit 121) and Hanging Lake (Exit 125) will remain open for westbound traffic, the Shoshone exit does not have a westbound off-ramp and therefore cannot be accessed from the westbound travel lane;
Work on the section of eastbound lanes between Grizzly Creek and Shoshone will be concluded by the beginning of June and CDOT will allow commercial rafting and kayaking companies to access Shoshone from Grizzly Creek once the work is done. However, the general public will not be allowed to access Shoshone until the project is complete, primarily due to worksite safety concerns. Lindsay, who was at the public open house, brought up some good points about this particular issue. Her comments are attached to this email for your review.
This time of year has the lowest traffic volumes on I-70 in the Glenwood Canyon. Therefore, this period of time is the safest time to conduct this project from a traffic management standpoint.

Another issue raised was that with the closure of Shoshone, Grizzly Creek will likely experience a significant increase in rafting and kayak user access. In fact, the available parking spaces at Grizzly Creek will probably fill up quickly, especially during the weekends. This parking problem will be aggravated by the parking habits of some semi-truck drivers that block several spaces when they use the rest area to take a break from driving.

Follow-up:

After the open house myself, Josh Cullen (CDOT) and James Sampson (Lawson Construction) brainstormed about these issues and how to address them. The following was decided:

After Lawson Construction has been on the project of a few weeks, the project team will assess the access situation at Shoshone and see if there is any way that both the rafting/kayak companies and the general public can be provided access to Shoshone after June 1st.
CDOT will consider closing Grizzly Creek to semi-trucks during the construction period in an effort to reduce anticipated congestion there.

Thank you again for your attendance at the meeting. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments regarding this email. I will keep you updated on the project schedule and on any decisions that might be made to address the issues you have raised.

- Tom

(Lindseys letter was not attached)
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #34

Carbondale, Colorado
Bump.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #35

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tomorrow is the last day to raft shoshone unless you want to hike your boat...
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #36
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Anyone gonna be there? I got a big boat and treiler an nobody to git me back up after ashuttlin.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #37
SEND IT!!!

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Shoshone Closure?

Did the putin really get closed yesterday?
shrediknite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #38

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Today, April 17, is the last day. I got a few fun laps in on a mini me.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #39

Duhrango
Just another well thought out CDOT project. Total cluster right at prime season for that section of the river.
Old 04-18-2011   #40
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Gremlin thanks for that. It looks like after some dialogue they are trying to accommodate as best as possible. It sucks for us, but it's better than the first plan. What else can they do?

Tags
access