Old 04-07-2011   #21
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustloverafting View Post
Is this the final say? Why isn't there more public comment? How was the turnout to the meeting? I should be looking more at the Buzz at work!
I asked that question and was told that by the time a contract has been written there is not much that can be changed. When I asked about the lack of public comment, they said they heard from the commercial companies and the general public was also invited but apparently didn't "show up" because it was the off-season and we weren't paying attention.

Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #22

New Castle, Colorado
Just a clarification question - When you say no private boaters are allowed "on" Shoshone, are you meaning we cannot park at Shoshone, or is the river closed to private boaters until July?[/QUOTE]

The bike path will be open. The river will be open. The Interstate access to Shoshone will be closed to private users

Old 04-07-2011   #23
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!! I am going to pay for a business license that will be in the name of Rafting galore and load up my trailer and van full of boats and people who want to run it.
If that doesnt work I'm gonna hire day laborers to help me carry my boat to the put in and tip them with Tecate after helping me carry my boat down to the put in. Then I am going to have em ride through Shoshone and get em back to where i got em.
Looks like my new rubber is going to have get baptized on the roaring fork to new castle run.
admins please feel free to put in colorful graphics for the first word in this post cause I am going to be saying it all night anyway
Old 04-07-2011   #24

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Who are the Glenwood area Legislators? Give them a call and see if they can apply some pressure
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #25

Carbondale, Colorado
This whole thing seems pretty poorly thought out. Maybe if they get a ton of calls they'll rethink.
I wonder who else might have some pull?
Town of GWS?
Chamber of commerce?

Bombard 'em with calls tomorrow.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #26

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
First of all: How 'bout we all get door magnets saying, "Buzzards Boating Commercial Rafting" and caravan to Shoshone!
Yes!

And yeah, sorry, it is only the ramp that is closed. I didn't mean to imply that anyone can bar access to the river completely...not yet.

As far as commercial schedules, that was one of the notes that I left for them- talk to the companies and figure out what their put in times will be and how many and if people are there at the right time, could they slide through, etc.

But I didn't really get the impression that these fine gentlemen had ANY experience with either commercial or private boating. It is a world mysterious to them, and I don't think that they could really figure out what we were all so upset about. So keep that in mind if you do call- these guys do not have the same background and passion, so they would not respond well to buzzword-filled rants or accusations.

Folks and gentlemen, this is already in a contract, if someone finds a person that can put that much pressure on CDOT, that would be great, and I'm not saying don't try, but they've run their tests on 'traffic volume' and this is the supposed most ideal time for it.

On a rather more depressing note, those dates are their intended dates of completion. Consider a moment, if you will, any construction endeavor in which you may or may not have been involved. Did all the parts show up on schedule? Were they the right parts? Did overly optimistic cost estimates affect the progress? Did the weather hold? Did the union strike?
I guess I'm just trying to say that even those dates might not actually happen. They will do their best because they do feel the pressure from Gwood, but, um, they might not make it. There is only an incentive to the contractor for every day BEFORE JULY 4TH that he/she is completed........

So those of us who tend hole up in town on our days off for the summer may have to take a few notes from the butt crack of dawn hike-to creekers and go somewhere...else?
Fortunately, we do live in a state with many excellent stretches of rivers, and at highwater, even rafters can do them!

So yeah, this sucks for casual weekend booze cruises, but maybe it's an opportunity as well....

Yeah...sorry, that was WAY too positive...
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #27

New Castle, Colorado
I agree that they don't have a clue what impact this will have on rafters. If the shuttle time is longer, we sit waiting longer at the put-in, further clogging things up. Maybe more people will opt to shuttle at the end, meaning more trailers at Grizzly. That is why I asked them to keep semis out. (They said they would not stage any equipment at Grizzly.) It is going to be a mess at Hanging Lake as well,with school buses pulling trailers through a parking lot full of oblivious tourists. I told them they need to be especially cognizant of the busy weekends and the construction focused contractor spokesman assured me they would be working weekends. They just want to be isolated from the public to get the project done.
Old 04-08-2011   #28

Carbondale, Colorado
I don't think the problem is longer shuttles. The problem is NO acess to the Shoshone Ramp for all of May and June. How many times are you going to carry your boat (raft or kayak) all the way from Grizzly?

I just got off the Phone w/ Tom -(970) 773-3457-- and he seemed quite reasonable, but I definitely got the impression that the more folks he hears from, the more they'll try to mitigate the impacts (such as opening it up on weekends.)

Even if you don't use Shoshone much, you should call, b/c all those boaters have to go somewhere, and they'll be crowding your boat ramp.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #29

Denver, Colorado
Walk

I have walked up from Grizzly Creek to the top of Upper Death 4 times this year. It only takes 45 minutes and is the easiest walk with a boat for 45 minutes you can get. The bike path is now closed. I simply walked around the gate. When you get to Shashone, you have to climb around a chain link fence as of yesterday. The week before it was wide open. The climb around the fence is kind of sketchy.

I'm sure one of these days I will get caught and given a ticket, but quite frankly this is another example of the government protecting one group (bikers on the bike path) and ignoring the rest of us.

Bet the cops watch me run the rapids before flagging me down to write the ticket.

Anyone want to bring a new pad lock and bolt cutters to the chain link fence that would be sweet. Cut the old lock, put our own on, hang the key from the railing on a 10 foot string. Bet no one will ever notice. When it comes time to open it they will probably think they just have the wrong key and cut the lock off.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #30

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hey Paco... Can you provide some info on Tom, who does he work for? Does he have enough pull to help, or is he a low level human mail box just there to take calls?

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access