Old 04-07-2011   #11

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Just a post so that I can receive auto-updates to this thread.

Thanks, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #12

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Well. Here's the skinny that I gained from the meeting:

The dates for full Shoshone closure (for everyone, including commercial) are from April 18-June 1st. No one goes in or out but powerplant workers at 6 AM.

Once that phase is finished, June is only open to commercial companies. Let me say that again, no private boaters are allowed on Shoshone until early July.

So in the month of June, CDOT somehow plans to allow all the commercial trips in through the construction, but no private boaters at all.

A gray area was brought up that what if the private boaters hire a commercial shuttle company and have all their shit ready to drop in the river and go? They might have said yes-ish to that. Not entirely sure.

My question is how are they going to tell? Is the sign guy going to get to pull a Gandalf all summer? You Shall Not Pass! (Sorry)
Or are all the privates going to be attaching themselves to commercial trips like little, highly skilled, slightly drunk parasites?

So the wait now is for the official posting from CDOT of how they will determine who is legit for the run and who isn't. I encouraged them to be as black and white (and public) about that as possible 'cause otherwise we will clog up the whole interstate arguing with them at the exit ramp.

That is the very official (and apparently non-negotiable) word.

Feel free to call Tom Newland at 970-773-4357. He is the 'public information manager' for the project. He seems quite friendly. The CDOT guy just glared at me most of the time.

So, happy Shoshone poaching!

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #13

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Bum rushin, sweat pourin, adrenaline induced, beer driven, Shoshone poachin time.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #14
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I requested they keep semis out of Grizzly and instate traffic control at both Hanging Lake and Grizzly during the duration of the project. They seemed open to that.

It may be worthwhile to work with the Forest Service to create a schedule of times for the commercial groups to launch so we can work around them. In the past I have only received vague answers from the outfitters themselves.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #15

New Castle, Colorado
How 'bout we all get door magnets saying, "Buzzards Boating Commercial Rafting" and caravan to Shoshone!
Old 04-07-2011   #16

Paddling Since: 1992
Can boaters put in at Hanging Lake and paddle Barrel through Shoshone during construction?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #17

New Castle, Colorado
yes, feel free.
Old 04-07-2011   #18

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Is this the final say? Why isn't there more public comment? How was the turnout to the meeting? I should be looking more at the Buzz at work!
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #19

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
One highly skilled, slightly drunk parasite ready for a host right here!!!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #20

Paddling Since: 1992
[QUOTE=LeftOfCenter;220549]Well. Here's the skinny that I gained from the meeting:

The dates for full Shoshone closure (for everyone, including commercial) are from April 18-June 1st. No one goes in or out but powerplant workers at 6 AM.

Once that phase is finished, June is only open to commercial companies. Let me say that again, no private boaters are allowed on Shoshone until early July.

So in the month of June, CDOT somehow plans to allow all the commercial trips in through the construction, but no private boaters at all."

Just a clarification question - When you say no private boaters are allowed "on" Shoshone, are you meaning we cannot park at Shoshone, or is the river closed to private boaters until July?

smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access