Old 01-25-2012   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Shoshone access 2012

CDOT will likely be paving the westbound lanes of I-70 this year between Hanging Lake and No Name. Like last year, this will affect access to Shoshone as the only exit from Shoshone is onto the westbound lanes. I was notified by the Project Manager from last year (who may or may not be the Project Mananger this year) that he would keep me posted if he has any information.

When I attended the first meeting I heard about last year as a private boater I was told that CDOT had already received input from the commercial operators and considered their recommendations in their planning process. Private users didn't hear about and weren't included in their planning because we "weren't paying attention". Fortunately, the Project Manager made himself available and some of our concerns were addressed.

If anyone has information, please notify us. We are paying attention!

Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Thanks for the heads up.

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I'll say it again for this years news... Motherfuckers!
Old 01-31-2012   #4

New Castle, Colorado
I received a reply from CDOT who confirmed this project will happen in 2012 and they are currently seeking a contractor. The project dates are from April 20th to June 22nd. Access WILL be available to both Grizzly Creek and Shoshone ramps. However, shuttling will be difficult. In a nutshell Shoshone's eastbound and westbound ramps will remain open. Grizzly Creeks Eastbound off and on ramps will remain open, the westbound on ramp will be closed until May 24th, and the westbound off ramp will remain open (for motorists turning around at Shoshone). From Grizzly Creek, the only way to travel west will be to, first go to Bair Ranch, and turn around (16 miles roundtrip).

I don't have any suggestions how CDOT could better accomodate motorists. They seem to be aware of the inconvenience but feel it is necessary. They will notify me when they schedule a public meeting where we can suggest any ideas we can brainstorm.
Old 01-31-2012   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I received a reply from CDOT who confirmed this project will happen in 2012 and they are currently seeking a contractor. The project dates are from April 20th to June 22nd. Access WILL be available to both Grizzly Creek and Shoshone ramps. However, shuttling will be difficult. In a nutshell Shoshone's eastbound and westbound ramps will remain open. Grizzly Creeks Eastbound off and on ramps will remain open, the westbound on ramp will be closed until May 24th, and the westbound off ramp will remain open (for motorists turning around at Shoshone). From Grizzly Creek, the only way to travel west will be to, first go to Bair Ranch, and turn around (16 miles roundtrip).

I don't have any suggestions how CDOT could better accomodate motorists. They seem to be aware of the inconvenience but feel it is necessary. They will notify me when they schedule a public meeting where we can suggest any ideas we can brainstorm.
You better, and dont forget to tell me. I know where you raft........
Old 02-01-2012   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
From Grizzly Creek, the only way to travel west will be to, first go to Bair Ranch, and turn around (16 miles roundtrip).
I am confused. If eastbound on ramp at griz is open, and eastbound off ramp and westbound on ramp are both open at Shoshone, can't you turn around at shoshone in order to head back to glenwood? Did is misread the ramp openings?
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #7
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
I wouldn't do it just due to the congestion that will happen. Hanging lake was bad enough last year, I can picture the mayhem that would happen if people would use shoshone as a turn around for a grizzly creek shuttle
Old 02-02-2012   #8

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
I am confused. If eastbound on ramp at griz is open, and eastbound off ramp and westbound on ramp are both open at Shoshone, can't you turn around at shoshone in order to head back to glenwood? Did is misread the ramp openings?
It took me several readings and a hand drawn map to understand... Remember that I-70 is two seperated and divided roads-two lanes on the eastbound and two lanes on the westbound. All traffic, eastbound and westbound will travel on the eastbound road- one lane each direction from Hanging Lake to Glenwood Springs where the seperated highway is at the same elevation. They are repaving the westbound lanes but will be allowing travel on the westbound road between Shoshone and Grizzly Creek to be able to keep Shoshone open. However, you will need to get off the westbound road at Grizzly Creek and the only place to get back onto the eastbound road to travel westbound before the highway seperates is back at Bair Ranch.

It is sixteen miles from Grizzly Creek to Bair Ranch and back. I don't remember what they reduced the speed to last year; 40 mph? I would expect it will add 30 minutes.
Old 02-02-2012   #9
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
So The hanging lake exit will be closed for a turnaround?
Old 02-02-2012   #10

New Castle, Colorado
Good Question; unclear to me

I wish I could just figure out how to copy and paste the entire pdf but here are the parts about Grizzly Creek and Hanging Lake.

GRIZZLY CREEK REST AREA (EXIT 121)
THE EASTBOUND ON AND OFF RAMPS WILL REMAIN OPEN.
THE WESTBOUND OFF RAMP WILL BE OPEN TO MOTORISTS WHO ARE TURNING AROUND AT SHOSHONE (EXIT 123). HOWEVER, ACCESS TO WESTBOUND I-70 FROM GRIZZLY CREEK, BEFORE MAY 24TH WILL BE BY FIRST TRAVELING EAST TO THE BAIR RANCH REST AREA (EXIT 129), AND THEN HEADING WEST (SEE BELOW).
THE WESTBOUND ON RAMP WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL MAY 24TH (APPROXIMATELY). THIS CLOSURE IS REQUIRED FOR RECONSTRUCTION OF THE WESTBOUND LANES BETWEEN THE GRIZZLY CREEK AND THE NO NAME REST AREAS. ACCESS TO WESTBOUND I-70 FROM GRIZZLY CREEK, BEFORE MAY 24TH WILL BE BY FIRST TRAVELING EAST TO THE BAIR RANCH REST AREA (EXIT 129), AND THEN HEADING WEST.
HANGING LAKE REST AREA (EXIT 125)
IT IS ANTICIAPTED TO CLOSE THE REST AREA TO MOTORISTS FOR 1 WEEK IN LATE APRIL TO RECONSTRUCT THE WESTBOUND ON RAMP AND ROADWAY IN THIS AREA. THE TWO RAMPS WILL OTHERWISE BE OPEN.

I would think it means the merge onto the eastbound road could be made west of the tunnels. Definitely a lot shorter than going to Bair Ranch and something to verify when they have a public meeting.

Tags
access