Old 03-16-2015   #11
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
My guess is that the road will be open this year by May 14. However, it is also worth noting that as per regulations, you can't be on the river at all on May 15th, start of permit season. So if you were to launch on May 14th you would essentially have to float out. But given all this hot weather and lack of snow we could very well be a full month off of normal. May is the new June.

When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #12
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
just drove up a ways. You can get a few miles past where the pavement ends.Still snowy. I'll check mid April again when I return.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #13
Somewhere, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Bad news from the FS...

Last week’s update: It’s time to start sending a newsletter about the Magruder Corridor because I am getting calls.
April 1st marks the official day that 4 wheeled vehicles are allowed on the corridor. From Dec 1st to March 31st only snowmobiles are allowed.
The road still has snow in the higher elevations and the places that stay shaded most of the day. At present, there is approximately 2 to 3 feet of snow at the Nez Perce pass.
Presently, the Magruder Corridor is closed for repairs. Travel is impossible due to a “Big Hole” the road crew dug to repair extensive washouts from last year. Construction is anticipated to continue with varying delays and closures up to May 15, 2015.
Please call the West Fork Office for the latest information on the road conditions at 406 821-3269 or visit us on our websites:; and
I will try to keep you updated with closure information."

I will try to contact the FS tomorrow to see how far from Paradise the "big hole" is.
fostvedtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #14
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
4x4... beep beep goes the jeep...

haha this was fun April 18, 2012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	991.8 KB
ID:	9634   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	9635  

tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #15
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
Any possibility of it being open pre-permit, so May 14th? What determines when the FS opens the road, is it snow pack, the date, both, etc.

Has the road ever been open pre-permit?
I have done three pre-permit season trips Once on the 14th when you only had to launch before permit season. Twice we launched around May 10th when they changed it to you had to be off the river by May 15th. Flows were 3.7, 5.0 and 5.5.
I remember enough rocks on the road the one trip that we had three or four flats driving in. Blew up a trailer one year too. Didn't have to deal with snow on top at all that I can remember. Snow on the side of the road but not on the road.
I would have to look up the years one was around '92 and again in '94 and another in 2002 or so.

Be prepared and do it. Such a great river. The Moose Juice is big but the upper stretch just keeps coming at you. Not much drinking on the water on those trips.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #16
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by tteton View Post
haha this was fun April 18, 2012
Damn, that's a sexy Bronco.

seantana is offline   Reply With Quote