Old 09-16-2011   #1
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
San Juan on the Left Side?

I want to hear what you buzzards think....

Myself and a number of Navajo friends have permission to launch on the Juan upstream from Bluff (not that far though...) on the left side (Indian lands) from a friend's property. The tribe is also willing to ink a letter for us saying we are putting on/taking out on Indian lands.

If we camp on the left our entire trip and take out on Indian lands, also at a privately, permissible location, do we need a permit from the US govt?

The assertion is if a juan ranger was to confront our group, on the left side, they would be tresspassing on Indian land and they have no jurisdiction in Native America.

Has anyone heard of folks pushing this issue? I'm the only non-native in the group.

mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #2

Interesting question. I would think you would still need a permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjah View Post
The assertion is if a juan ranger was to confront our group, on the left side, they would be tresspassing on Indian land and they have no jurisdiction in Native America.
The rangers could say the same thing about you if you even bump the right shore with your boat.

But what do I know. Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Tis better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
What is the point of not getting a permit? Are you trying to make a statement?
Best to call the rangers and ask them or tell them what you intend to do. Otherwise aren't you just poaching by hiding under another's flag?
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Remember that BLM is part of the Department of the Interior, which does have some jurisdiction on native lands (BIA). Plus, I believe that the Nation and the BLM have some agreements in place that manage that section, so I would not assume too much!

Also, most of the water you are floating on isn't owned by the Navajo Nation in that section.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #6

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
I did the San Juan in May and the BLM ranger I saw was also Navajo so I think he might have joint jurisdiction. This time of the year you shouldn’t have to much trouble getting a walk-in permit. Why poach if you don't have to. I would call the BLM and ask, no need to make the boating community look bad. Also when I talked to the ranger he said if you get banned from the river for not following rules, no permit ect. That they share your info with other federal permitted rivers so you also won't be able to get permits for the Grand, Rouge, Salmon, ect. Not worth it for me. Get a permit and be legit. A awesome river you will have fun, not much for rapids though.

Peace Bluefunk
Bluefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #7
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
this is not for now-just a hypothetical question kicked around at the bar...and yes, these native guys want to push the issue. Thanks for all your interesting reactions/feedback.
Old 09-17-2011   #8

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
They can't ban you on multiple rivers if you are cited for an infraction on any river that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefunk View Post
I did the San Juan in May and the BLM ranger I saw was also Navajo so I think he might have joint jurisdiction. This time of the year you shouldn’t have to much trouble getting a walk-in permit. Why poach if you don't have to. I would call the BLM and ask, no need to make the boating community look bad. Also when I talked to the ranger he said if you get banned from the river for not following rules, no permit ect. That they share your info with other federal permitted rivers so you also won't be able to get permits for the Grand, Rouge, Salmon, ect. Not worth it for me. Get a permit and be legit. A awesome river you will have fun, not much for rapids though.

Peace Bluefunk
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #9

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
San Juan Left Side

I would be careful about that. You are good launching and taking out on river left, but I have had a ranger stop on river left and ask if I had a permit for Navajo land and I was leading a training trip with all native people. It was weird. But the problem you may run into is if they see you on the water and don't see your name or vessel on their list. That could be trouble because they manage the people going down the river, not just the land. Let us know what you find out.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #10
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
They can't ban you on multiple rivers if you are cited for an infraction on any river that I'm aware of.
Yes, clarity here would be good too