Old 06-09-2010   #1

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Safety Tips---Please Add Your Own

Please add to this thread of any personal tips you have.

If you fall out in a class 4 or 5 rapid and you can't get out of the undertow....curl up in a ball and usually you will be spit out.

If you have a DRE (Down River Equipment) seat, strap it to the bar behind you so when you get bumped, the seat will not bump you out. (This has saved me in Dagger and yesterday at Shoshone).

Keep all straps and ropes tight around your boat.

Put a pad or a poco pad on all dry boxes that are riding in front of the oarsman or oarswoman or oarsdog. A friend of mine tore off his fingernail 3 weeks ago on the MFS in Idaho and broke that same finger. We pushed out to get medical attention. It took another 4 days before he got medical help.

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Mother Nature Is Stronger Than You Are. Know your limits. Don't get talked into boating water you can't handle. It's better to walk away, than be carried away.

If you have gills, run everything!

LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Always remember to BREATHE (except when you're underwater, or have gills), also, you're mind is the best piece of safety equipment you have... make sure you slow down enough to put it go good use!
Old 06-09-2010   #4

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I keep a climbing nut on the boat in case I need to tie up against a cliff.
Old 06-09-2010   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
There are so many but my main one would be use your aggressive swim as a first choice over the defensive swim. Get out of whitewater as quick as you can.

my second tip is don't launch in flood conditions.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Before a situation, designate and delegate in case of a situation. Nothing worse than a boat with all chiefs and no indians.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
If you dig big high water, envest in a NRS anti-gravity shirt. It will give you 10 additional lbs of floatation for the big water. Yea, no one ever swims big water, but shit happens. I have had skirts blow from the force of a hole and everyone in their boat is just in-between swims or flips. I don't use my anti gravity shirt for normal flows, but when the water gets big, I wear it. It could mean the difference between just a bad swim and a flush drowning if things don't go as planned.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #8

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Safety gear is essential, but everyone on the boat needs to know how to use it. Spend some time training on your gear. Practice throwing the bags...more than once. Find a safe stretch and put someone on the water to be pulled back in. Flip the boat and flip it back. Practice knots and rigging mechanical advantage. Train...train...train.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
If you dig big high water, envest in a NRS anti-gravity shirt. It will give you 10 additional lbs of floatation for the big water.
Never even heard of this. Sounds like a good idear.

My safety overkill that I do is to have a throw bag at the front and rear d ring and one at each oar tower. That way no matter where I come up on the boat I am only 4 feet away from a throw bag .......in case the boat is not right side up and needs to be belayed in to shore.

The other thing that I usually do is have every throw bag get thrown right before the trip. I didn't the last trip and my first throw got all bound up and fell ohhh about two feet short. Sorry about that Jeff - it will never happen again.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Paddle/Raft with people you feel safe with!
When you want to get out and scout something - DO IT, regardless of whether someone says its unnecessary - its not a waste of time!
When you run something that is above your skill level, you are putting your party in a sketchy situation too...