Old 06-09-2010   #11

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Having a sharp knife within short reach is a must. I got tangled in a rope in Slaughterhouse years ago and w/o a knife I would have been f@#%ed!

Old 06-10-2010   #12

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
On Your PFD

Have a z-drag card with you on your PFD. That saved my butt on the MFS. Also have the hex wrench with you on your pfd too. In fact, I think on your personal PFD you should have,
1. Knife
2. Whistle
3. Hex wrench
4. Z-Drag card
5. ?????? Other thoughts?

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #13
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
My two cents, since everybody loves to throw it out there-you can take a swiftwater rescue course(and should)and still not know shit. Ask me how I know.

Experience is the best teacher.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #14
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
Having a sharp knife within short reach is a must. I got tangled in a rope in Slaughterhouse years ago and w/o a knife I would have been f@#%ed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWTORCH View Post
My two cents, since everybody loves to throw it out there-you can take a swiftwater rescue course(and should)and still not know shit. Ask me how I know.

Experience is the best teacher.
Don't be too hard on yourself Flow.

Have to tell a funny story.

Bechdel was running one of his rescue classes and I was sent by my company. I happened to be homeless and a novice kayaker as well. We were on the Payette and Les saw my kayak and volunteered me to do rope ferries across the Payette at nearly flood stage. I said no ffing way dude, I don't even have a roll all the time - not hooking myself to a rope. Why do you have your kayak then?? Cuz I am a dirtbag homeless dude.

He got all puffed up about it and asks me to get my boat and jumps in and off he goes. He gets twisted around in the eddy on the far side and rolls and comes up with his 300 foot static line not quite all the way around his neck.

Holy shit. I had my knife out and was getting ready to cut his rope when he swam and came out of it all right. I had to laugh after. For writing a pretty good rescue book, he was kind of a douche.

Lesson is don't throw ropes unless you have a knife for sure.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #15

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Stay hydrated. PBR is like 95% water!...oh yea and I learned the "hand of god roll" to flip over a kayak with an unconscious person in it. It takes some practice to do in current but pretty nifty, hope I never have to use it.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #16

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Don't forget to hold frequent safety meetings.
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #17

80523, Confusion
paddle with people you know and trust. communicate with them, and know your limits, and when in doubt, scout.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #18

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I like what you have in the vest 'mustloverafting'. Some other things I have are:
2 prussik cords
A few carabiners
2 small climbing pulleys
-the idea being that you have all the stuff for your z-drag on your person where you need it. Also to make your pfd so heavy it won't float you anymore.
-also sealing up your first aid kit with at food-saver keeps it nice and dry till you have to break it out. I do the same with the rafting repair kit. Keeps the glue off stuff untill I want to sniff some.
-Finally, you can also draw the z-drag on your throwbag with a sharpie, but you really should just set it up on dry land every season so you are comfortable with it. Have enough webbing on your flip-line so it can double as shore anchor. What else....
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #19
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Blaze it up at the take out, not the put in.
Old 06-17-2010   #20

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you're going to wear carabiners on your body, make sure they are locking ones (or sealed in a pocket). I have seen one occaision where a loose line 'clipped' into a guy's biner on his pfd. The rope didn't have a knot in the end, but what if it did?

Check your partner's skirt to ensure the loop is outside the comb. I know it seems basic skills but I see it a couple times a year.

Lastly, trust your instincts. If you've ran a rapid before, but today you aren't feelin it, go ahead and skip it. Nothing like putting your friend's lives in danger because you are just going with the flow.