Old 06-03-2009   #1

North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Rough Trip on Middle Fork of the Salmon, Idaho

Attached are two photos, one showing someone's hard time on the Middle Fork last week. I haven't got the story yet, but this boat had a tough time. The ramp is at Corn Creek on the Main Salmon with flows hitting close to 40,000 cfs last week. Corn Creek is about 7 miles from the Middle Fork confluence.

The other is the large log blocking the takeout ramp at Cache Bar on the Main. This is the takeout for the Middle Fork. Several cars and trailers there parked for those on a current trip. They will have a surprise since the water is fast with few eddies not full of timber until you hit Corn Creek. The Forest Service says action is "pending" to remove the log.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1895.JPG
Views:	1085
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1551   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1897.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1887.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	1553  

eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
im not sure but i maaaay know the boaters who were on that trip. a good friend of mine said some of his buddies just got off a middle fork trip that turned epic on them, one boat was completely destroyed, the other was torn apart (could be that one?) and a bunch of them ended up having to hike out. and if the pics are not from their group, then that is two different groups that have had epics this year. gotta love flood waters on a wilderness run......

Old 06-03-2009   #3

This does not look like a whitewater raft. If you blow up the side view, you can see the propeller on the back. Way too big to row on the MF.

Motorized traffic on the Main Salmon is very common. Did also notice the PBR still on the boat. Someone should move that out of the sun!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
A lot more than two groups had epics on the MFS this year! Our party was on for this year's peak (7.3 ft) and we passed no less than six parties that were freaked out, hiking out, flying out, or out a boat. On the other hand, there are plenty of boaters that can't wait to see the MFS at 10 ft. I guess wilderness runs at peak snowmelt have very different effects of different people.

And, that log at Cache Bar looks strangely familiar

The lesson of our MFS trip was to always look upstream when pulling out of an eddy!
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This does not look like a whitewater raft. If you blow up the side view, you can see the propeller on the back. Way too big to row on the MF. Motorized traffic on the Main Salmon is very common.
Gotta agree with Rich. Why would you have the outboard mounted on a Middle Fork trip? The boat is too big to row on the MFK and has no rigging for sweeps. I do know that it is registered to some folks from Central Point, Oregon.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
The lesson of our MFS trip was to always look upstream when pulling out of an eddy!

Would like to hear that story!

Also yetigonecrazy: let's hear your friends story.

If I can't make this year's high water, I would at least like to hear the stories.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #7

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Good luck with that!

The MF is a non-motorized river/wilderness area there is no way in hell the ranger at Boundary would even consider allowing that monstrosity to even launch.

Anyone who is interested in seeing the MF @ 10ft is not familiar with the MF, it's not a pretty sight! There are 2 kinds of BIG water MF boaters those that have flipped, and those that will!
creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
A lot more than two groups had epics on the MFS this year! Our party was on for this year's peak (7.3 ft) and we passed no less than six parties that were freaked out, hiking out, flying out, or out a boat. On the other hand, there are plenty of boaters that can't wait to see the MFS at 10 ft. I guess wilderness runs at peak snowmelt have very different effects of different people.

i did not mean to imply there was only two epics this year alone. i merely said it is the second one i have heard about myself.

i dont have the full story yet, i will talk to my buddy today and get the full scoop. all i know is they dropped in, their oar rig surfed really bad and actually sunk somewhere, and they were left with one boat and no gear so a bunch of them hiked out. again, i will get the full scoop today
Old 06-03-2009   #9

North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This does not look like a whitewater raft. If you blow up the side view, you can see the propeller on the back. Way too big to row on the MF.

Motorized traffic on the Main Salmon is very common. Did also notice the PBR still on the boat. Someone should move that out of the sun!
No jet boat traffic below Corn Creek has been active this week due to high water- and no float boat w/motors allowed beyond Corn Creek through Frank Church Wilderness corridor. However, I have seen sweeps with motors out of the water on the MF and the Main for use in slack water downriver (NOT NEEDED THIS WEEK!!) beyond the wilderness boundary closer to Riggins. This looked like a sweep boat but I also did not see the rigging which could have gone the way of the pontoons. The sweep boats on the MF resemble this but I never saw the rigging (canvas and captain's chair) on one of those. It will be interesting on how this worked. Strains my imagination to think "oars" on this one.

There was some information from a neighbor who works at Corn Creek on some rescues for those hiking out - helio drops for survival gear and jet boats up the confluence to get gear floating down.

I will get the story for all when my neighbor returns from her training. Her boss runs the NF check in at Corn Creek.

I blew up the picture and there are oarlocks associated with the primary seat. A lot of boat for the oarsman!
eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence View Post
The MF is a non-motorized river/wilderness area there is no way in hell the ranger at Boundary would even consider allowing that monstrosity to even launch.

Anyone who is interested in seeing the MF @ 10ft is not familiar with the MF, it's not a pretty sight! There are 2 kinds of BIG water MF boaters those that have flipped, and those that will!
There is no ranger at Boundary on the Middle Fork during the early season. The first, and often only, ranger you will see is at Indian Creek. So if someone got that boat down Marsh Creek there would be no one to say a thing about it until Indian Creek.

My friends that have run the Middle Fork at 9 ft say it was a blast with many holes washed out.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote