Old 06-08-2009   #41

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Damn. That is a pretty impressive piece of work! I'm glad everyone was ok. Did folks go over or under that log? Also, how did you get her out of there? Did you move the log or pull her the rest of the way under? Did someone have to walk the plank to get a rope on the boat? I just can't get over how nasty that flip-pin-wrap-strainer looks.

I know there are lots more carnage pics from this spring on Marsh, let's see em...

pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #42

North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
More like Bad Trip Down The Salmon River Road

[Rich, et. al. were correct. I just got the story. The wreck did not go down the Middle Fork ( I was struggling to see how also, plus if wrecked below Corn Creek, no reasonable way to get back to ramp). It wrecked on the road to Corn Creek. The boat evidently fell off the trailer, popping the missing pontoon. It was taken back to Blackadar in Salmon, repaired, and reinstalled on the boat. They did launch on the Main. Still, a lot of boat for an oarsman with the flows currently being experienced. It may have been a blessing. The cool weather may have lowered the level some even with the rain we have had. Trips from Corn Creek to Riggins are being made in two days with level at 9 feet on the ramp (35,000+ cfs)

eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #43

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
Damn. That is a pretty impressive piece of work! I'm glad everyone was ok. Did folks go over or under that log? Also, how did you get her out of there? Did you move the log or pull her the rest of the way under? Did someone have to walk the plank to get a rope on the boat? I just can't get over how nasty that flip-pin-wrap-strainer looks.

I know there are lots more carnage pics from this spring on Marsh, let's see em...
One person went over and one went under. Luckily most of the logs on the Salmon don't have a lot of branches (the 2nd or 3rd log following you through Dagger was an exception) We had a saw and the plan was to either use another piece of wood to lever the log off, or cut it. Right after I took the close up pic the rising river took care of things and raft and log floated free and headed down river. A few of us gave chase in kayaks, I got on the raft and was able to roll the log off. The first line to shore blew out the rope it was attached to on the raft but the second attempt held and after a mile or two we had the raft and log tied to the bank. Unloaded the raft and re-inflated whatever was still holding air on it and rowed the remains to Dagger where it was unceremoniously laid to rest. Days like that leave you thinking that whitewater rodeos are missing something.
paddlepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #44

Self-Employed Paddling Since: 2000
Pearen props to you! I saw the video - nothing short of amazing. Between you and Tim "paddlepilot" you guys get the bad ass award for the MF this year. Tim I only wish we a picture of you rowing that sorry ghetto raft down to Dagger with the tubes sinched up with cam straps! and Scott thinks he is going to repair that raft (one in the picture above) but he has no idea. It was an awesome trip and am ready to go back!!! Reality TV would have been great especially the first three days - the freakouts, ghetto rafts and people hopping from camp to camp trying to get on other trips (which I still can't believe)!

Pearen - I wonder if the guy you are referring to at Loon Creek was our biggest ass...blondish hair, wearing a cowboy hat.......??? He was the biggest $&*! ever!

Can I have some more tea please???

Happy paddling )
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #45

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I wonder if the guy you are referring to at Loon Creek was our biggest ass...blondish hair, wearing a cowboy hat.......??? He was the biggest $&*! ever!
That's the guy! Six round boats, no cats or kayaks. Party from Bellingham, WA area. The guy had major short man complex and couldn't stop spraying if he tried.

One of my favorite things about high water runs on the MFS is the sense of community between different groups. I recognize everyone is there for some variation of a wilderness experience, but there is also a firm understanding that if the shit goes down everyone is there for everyone else. This dude thought he owned the MFS and wanted to tell everyone else to piss off.

Whatever, we only had to deal with him for a few hours and he provided entertainment for the rest of the trip.

BTW, What video?
Old 06-09-2009   #46
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I just got off the MFS on Sat with a group of nine. The flow hung around 6' the entire time and was a big water flush. Glad we did not flip anything or have any substantial swims as that would have been very ugly. The take out had two large logs on it now. We had to rope our rafts into the landing to unload them. It was pretty sketchy as we almost lost a cataraft.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #47

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
That's the guy! Six round boats, no cats or kayaks. Party from Bellingham, WA area. The guy had major short man complex and couldn't stop spraying if he tried.

BTW, What video?
Yea- where is the video. I would love to see it. By the way, I put up 5 of your (Pearen) pics from Dagger on the Idaho whitewater Yahoo group site.
jkisraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #48

Self-Employed Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:

One of my favorite things about high water runs on the MFS is the sense of community between different groups. I recognize everyone is there for some variation of a wilderness experience, but there is also a firm understanding that if the shit goes down everyone is there for everyone else. This dude thought he owned the MFS and wanted to tell everyone else to piss off.

Whatever, we only had to deal with him for a few hours and he provided entertainment for the rest of the trip.

BTW, What video?
Agreed - you just don't see that attitude anywhere ont he river especially high water when things are more likey to happen. My boyfriend and him got into it at Sheepeater becaue again he felt like he "owed" the MF. Large campsites up stream and down stream - we hit the downstream eddy and camped in the large campsite. He was so out of control I have never seen such a thing on the river - ever. During high you get the camps you can get and there was plenty of space and he wanted no part of us near Sheepeater even though we we out of sight. Sorry but dude was an ass. They had one cool guy, Jesse, in their group and not even sure how he got hooked up with them. Dude was a complete ass - had no business being there. I had to walk away from the conversation between them - he just wanted to hear himself talk. They flew out, huh??? Interesting.... So not cool the river ...we called him Tom Petty the rest of the trip He was upset that we had camped in his crouquet course that took up the entire camp, which we didn't know and wasn't obvious. I think Tim spoke to him when we first arrived, but didn't help and he just ranted the entire night and morning about other people taking over "his" campsite. I think he would have tried to chase off anyone passing through just to stop at the hot springs - they had already been there the night before and technically weren't allowed a second night at the same campsite. You just have to sit back and shake you head......not try to understand.

I will have to find out who has the video(s) but it shows you rowing and the tree coming up behind you and you entered Dagger with more behind. It came right between your tubes then you jumped off to the concrete fish weir and then back on (crazy! & big skills!) - I think someone may have the flip, but it seems eveyone saw it but me in realtime - I was probably cooking while all the guys portaged gear - gotta keep them fed.

I will get ahold of it and have it e-mailed to you some how.....drop me a line. Glad you guys had a great trip!

Happy Paddling
Patricia

patricia@achievepeakperformance.com
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #49

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Please put that up for all of us. Sounds amazing! To catch it on film even more so.
Old 06-09-2009   #50

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Dude was a complete ass - had no business being there. I had to walk away from the conversation between them - he just wanted to hear himself talk. They flew out, huh??? Interesting....
I didn't write very clearly before. We encountered this party at Sheepeater the night before you guys with very similar results. We stayed in the exact same lower camp you guys used and got bitched at. Two different parties flew out at Loon.

Oh, and I totally expected to get called out on the buzz for saying that the MFS was a shit show. I guess it is pretty hard to disagree at this point, or maybe buzzards just enjoy a little smacktalking.