Old 06-03-2009   #11

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence View Post
Anyone who is interested in seeing the MF @ 10ft is not familiar with the MF, it's not a pretty sight! There are 2 kinds of BIG water MF boaters those that have flipped, and those that will!
So what's wrong with flipping

Old 06-03-2009   #12

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Nothings wrong with flipping it's all part of the game. It's getting you rig to shore (in one piece) thats the problem.

creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #13

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence View Post
Anyone who is interested in seeing the MF @ 10ft is not familiar with the MF, it's not a pretty sight!
Alternatively, someone interested in seeing the MFS @ 10ft is extremely competent, knows the river well, has a high gnar threshold, and likes a little adventure. An appreciation of wood could also be beneficial...
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #14
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I enlarged the photo and couldn't see anything like oars mounts, sweep mounts or and outboard motor.

I know that anyone taking a rig like that on the MF during near peak week is asking for an ass whipping.

Not that I wouldn't be scared.....but I would love to see the Middle Fork at 10 feet. Maybe only need to do it once but WOW that would be a rush.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #15

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
Alternatively, someone interested in seeing the MFS @ 10ft is extremely competent, knows the river well, has a high gnar threshold, and likes a little adventure. An appreciation of wood could also be beneficial...
True, but knowing the river well @ low to medium flow and knowing it at 10ft are 2 different things. i.e. Ski Jump, Murph's hole, Hells-half-mile easy at lower flows but boat eaters at 8+. Of course to achieve the gnar threshold and adventure you must put-in at Marsh creek finishing with a run down Dagger!
creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #16

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Anyone know what the highest succesful run of Dagger was at??? I saw her (and rowed it) at 6.3........just wondering when it gets stupid.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #17

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I enlarged the photo and couldn't see anything like oars mounts, sweep mounts or and outboard motor.
In the first pic look at the back of the rig. You can see the motor sticking past the tail.

I think what some are thinking are oar mounts are just the rod holders. He has at least 2 per side on the rig.

I gotta give them some credit, those logs strapped to the boat to allow them to finish must have made the craft very unwieldy. Still they 'duct taped' everything together and went for it. Many might have given up and asked to be rescued. I guess with a big enough motor on the back it was doable.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #18

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
If you look at the picture. Double click it and it will open in a new tab(at least with firefox) and Ctrl= will blow it up even more. The metal upright above what looks to be garden hose looks very much like a super beefy oar mount, as well as the regular oar mount pivot just below it. There also seems to be one directly across from it. Not saying they rowed it down the middle fork with that 25 horse engine on it, but it is rigged to be rowed.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post

Spoken like a true Catwoman! Might as well sell the round boat, you might never use it again.

Blown up big, they look like rod holders, not oar locks.
I assumed the logs that are under it were rigged up to roll to on the ramp. They do not look like they are attached for floatation.

Would like to hear the story.

Would also like to see the MF at 10'. Not sure I would want to row it, but I would like to see it!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #20

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Pretty sure I know that boat. The owners had just completed a MFS at average flows of 6.8 in a 15 foot raft. They had planned to pick up their Snout rig at Corn and continue to Whitebird. They did not take it down the MFS. It is possible a Log took them out while loading it down the ramp or they had problems just below and were towed back. At any rate, the couple is very experienced and I hope they are okay.

mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote