Old 10-01-2011   #1

Rope lost in lower kirsch

While trying to remove the red boat pinned in the kirsch run-out a fully deployed rope was lost. Rope vanished. Last seen spot was about 1/2 way down the Kirsh run-out about 2/3's of the way to the left. The boats out of the river now, but theres now a rope.

mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
What The Fuck? 4 ropes lost in K-Baum this season. This is fucking stupid. Keep your ropes attached to something so you don't kill sombody.

Old 10-01-2011   #3

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Stop losing ropes but if you do please continue to report them so at least we know where we might get fucked.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, no shit. Kirshbaum is the perfect rapid for a rope to kill someone in. 4 ropes in a season is beyond ridiculous - hell those are just the ones people were good enough to report. If you can't hold onto your rope leave it at home. I'm basically considering that rapid a no swim, non flip rapid for the foreseeable future, and comforted to know that Brian will probably be probing it before I do as the water comes down - though I really need to keep him around to run Gore with in the future.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Everyone remember to carry your knife. Be ready to use it as well. I have been tangled in a rope before and cutting the rope was the only option of escape.

With all the rope down there, folks should try to stay in tighter groups through the end of the run. I know I am guilty of starting to charge out there at the end seeking the cold beer at the takeout. When the shit hits the fan, it sure is nice having your buddy in ear shot.
Old 10-02-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for posting the info Mike. While lost ropes are a bad thing, I don't think we should beat up people too much when posting... if we do, people just won't post in the future for fear of an internet beatdown, and then we will never know.

To all those that have lost ropes... consider it your civic duty to look for the ropes at low water. Consider hiking in from the bottom when flows are low to see what you can find. Its a short hike up to kirschbaum from pumphouse, bring some drygear, pfd, knife, helmet etc and try to get out what you can.

I think the 400-500 cfs off season crew needs to scour k-bomb for ropes this fall or next spring too. Biggest problem I see is that flows will likely run relatively high until the snow flies this year, and the banks will be filled with snow next April making things difficult to find ropes.

If I recall correctly, the fatality in kirschbaum in the early 2000's was suspected to have a rope involved.

Another thing to consider is that every time you use a rope you run a chance of losing it. If more boaters treated ropes like climbers (double check, backup, think out the plan etc) we'd probably have less ropes in the river.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #7

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Great post Deep South!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #8
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I'm not trying to beat anyone up over the lost ropes. I'm sure it was an accident. Thanks for posting the hazards. Kirshbaum's is one of my favorite rapids, I hate knowing that there might be so many ropes in there. We went through there a couple times today and didn't see anything.
Old 10-02-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Deep South has the right response. Thanks for the post Bannister.
Dodger7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
From the accident report, the death in Kirshbaum was more than just suspected rope involvement. It was quite clearly the result of a rope in the water. Read it here:
American Whitewater - riverpage-visitor

That's why this kind of thing is so serious. I know that shit happens, but 4 ropes in one season in probably one of the worst spots not just in Gore but perhaps in all of Colorado, points to people being careless. What if your rope was the one that killed someone in 2000? That's the kind of respect you should be paying to your rope. I'm not blaming anyone or discouraging anyone from posting, but it makes me wonder how seriously people are taking their rescues. I heard that one rope was lost because someone had to dive in after what they thought was an unconscious victim. I can understand losing a rope in a situation like that, but there also needs to be due negligence finding it and getting it out as the water drops. And nobody should ever be putting on without their rope clipped into their boat and their bag securely closed.

On a more positive note, the weather and flows on Gore right now are superb for October.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote