Old 06-12-2011   #1

HOMELESS TRANSIENT DRIFTER
Rope in Lower Browns Canyon

There may be a throw bag 200 yds below twin falls on the left. I have notified AHRA and they are going to go down tomorrow in the AM to check it out. I hate leaving ropes in the river. I was told by a kayaker it does not look like it will be a problem and it is visible.

Here is what happened. I was on a 4 boat trip today. The last boat was a guide and a friend in an oar rig. They flipped at twin falls and were not able to reflip the raft without help. They were both on top of it and had no paddles and were heading towards Twin Falls.

I saw one stump between where I was, on river Left and the start of twin falls. At this point I was sure I was going to be the hero....that quickly changed. I threw them the throw bag and it was all of the rope. I had three feet left. I ran down the shore and wrapped it around a 3 foot high stump that was as large around as a 55 gallon drum. The oar boat guide tied the rope to a D-ring and the raft started to pendulum in. I am a total bad-ass.

Then, enter hubris.

As I thinking this is going to be awesome...CRACK.....The stump rips out of the ground and flies in to the river. I am determined not to let go off the rope and I fly in to the water in a giant belly flop. I really intended to hang on to the rope the whole time, even if it means swimming twin falls. However something was wrong. I wasn't moving and the rope was ripping through my hands. What the @#$% is around my foot ? It feels as though there is a rope around my foot. I can't go with the rope. I start thinking about having to cut my foot out, but realize I can stand up. There is a vine wrapped around my foot.

I untangle the vine, jump back in my boat and catch up to the upside down boat in the flat water 1/2 mile below twin falls. I jump on the upside down boat and help them re-flip the raft. I swim back to my boat and a few minutes later ask "where is the throw bag?" It took a while to get an answer as he was fixing oars, etc. I assumed, that the guide had pulled it in and it was somewhere in the boat.

After looking for it for a bit it turns out that the bag must have snagged along the way and the rope BROKE leaving some of it tied to the raft. I don't think he ever even felt the rope snag. At the point this was realized we were a mile or so below twin falls I scanned the water the whole way looking for a bag and never saw it. Shit I hate leaving a bag in the river, even though it wasn't on my boat at the time, as the TL it is my responsibility.

I feel like a dick for not going back, but at the time I didn't know where it was, was bleeding from several places and was on a 4 boat commercial trip running late.

I asked a kayaker at the take out if he saw anything and he said he saw it on a rock on the left below twin falls. He did not think it was going to be a problem.

AHRA is going there in the AM, before trips should be there to check it out.
I will let you know what they find.

Old 06-13-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
That's some good whitewater'n there Brian.

cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #3

HOMELESS TRANSIENT DRIFTER
It's out.
Thanks AHRA !
Old 06-13-2011   #4

Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Beaner did you make Andrew go clean your shit up?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed to hear that even with your great feats of strength that you could not just grab that stump and pull that boat in, you must be getting old or something.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #5

Centennial, Colorado
Here's the crash (or another oar rig yesterday):
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns, browns canyon