Old 06-15-2007   #1
PJ

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Rope In Golden Play Park!!!

Today I was at the Golden play park and atempted to rescue a boater who swam. I lost a throw rope at the drop next to the softball field just above the tennis courts and library.
Here is what happened: There was boater was wading into the river and was waist/chest deep in strong moving current. The boater was a beginner and didn't understand the risks. I had a rope with me but the rope was only 60 feet long. The boater was over 60 feet from shore.
I walked out onto a rock ledge which was partialy underwater in order to have enough rope to throw to the boater. I was in a hurry because I did not want the boater to become foot entraped. I threw the rope with about 7 feet to spare in my hands. As I swung the boater in to shore my rope started to slip. I played out the 7 feet while trying to get the boater to my side of shore, and my rope got away from me.
I feel horrible about having a rope in a section of river so many people use. I seached for hours with the help of a few other boaters and the boater I attempted to help. I searched both sides of the river from where the rope was thrown to just passed the main street bridge. I waded accross the river in multiple spots and waded in the water on both banks all the way through these sections. We stopped searching at dark.
I am very sorry and ask for the boating communities forgiveness. I know this puts a lot of people in danger and I want everyone to know about this rope.

Sincerely,
PJ
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On