Old 05-22-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
River wide tree in Alto Alto

There is currently a tree blocking the entire river on the last drop as you leave the canyon section of Alto Alto. It's above the fishing club or whatever that's called. We didn't get out of our boats to inspect super closely, but it is absolutely blocking the entire river, and there are branches that go down into the water. It seemed impassable enough to force us off onto the river right fork--bony side. Be sure to get river right on that second to last drop before you leave the canyon--the crux move of Alto Alto. If you miss this last eddy, all there is left is a micro-eddy a few feet above the fallen tree. Strange: it is a completely alive tree; from a distance, the cut seemed clean. Someone trying to keep us off the river at that spot? I should've walked down to get a close look at the stump to confirm that it's a deliberate act, but from 75 yards upstream, it seemed less than statistically likely. Don't try to go under. Chain saw? Z-drag? It's not a small tree, but a fully mature, healthy tree. Be careful.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #2

in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Marc, thanks. The area below that series of drops with the wall on your right and the tracks on your left, is about mile 2.5 from Rollinsville bridge at Hwy 119, and sounds like it is below the rapid known as Island Turn Rapid.
Could you post the approximate diameter of the tree? The windstorm we just had knocked alot of trees down, and I'll look at the rootwad and base for cuts, etc.
Thanks for your post.

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
If I had to guess, I would say that the tree had a diameter of at least 12"-16". It is a large, mature tree, still alive. Your description of the area sounds accurate.
Old 05-25-2010   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
We went down this afternoon (5/25) and the tree was definitely cut by somebody, no nature at work here. I'd agree with 12"-16" for diameter. I knew I should have checked the buzz before we went. Went left but getting out and portaging pretty easy for a split second scramble. Great level for rafting, besides the tree. Took out downstream about a mile from the usual spot at 72 & Beaver, a little below the next smaller bridge. 2 car road eddy, a couple carins at river level. Has anyone used the USB put-in as a take-out, since there are no parking signs all over the old spot?

Have Fun!
Old 05-26-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Maybe the question is, who do we report this to? Given the location above the new fishing club/"ranch", I'm thinking this might repeat itself. I'm not sure if the folks who did this will connect the dots unless a boater gets hurt or worse. Not so unlike running a thin metal cable over a piece of popular single track, no? Next: getting the wood out. Something gas operated; rope and pulley...
Old 05-26-2010   #6

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I would be very willing to assist with the beavering of a hazzard.

I get home this weekend, and will be available next week for this. Please keep me in the loop is a crew is heading in.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Maybe the question is, who do we report this to? Given the location above the new fishing club/"ranch", I'm thinking this might repeat itself. I'm not sure if the folks who did this will connect the dots unless a boater gets hurt or worse. Not so unlike running a thin metal cable over a piece of popular single track, no? Next: getting the wood out. Something gas operated; rope and pulley...
Marc,

Are you up for going up there this weekend? I am available for one day. I have a big ass come-along as well.

Keep me in the loop.
Old 05-26-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I agree with Marc. Getting the tree out will be easy. But whoever put it there had some bad intentions and will likely just drop another in. The tree wasn't even visible when we scouted as it is around the corner of the left channel. I wish I could post a pic the placement is just sinister, whoever did this is a fucked up individual. It would be great to report this but it doesn't seem like a county sheriff thing, or at least a priority.

I've got the time, rope and rafts, but no chain saw and would love to get this out before it gets higher and picks up more wood. Just post here or shoot me an email jed at my web address. raftdenver.com
Old 05-26-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Tomorrow?

I live up in Coal Creek, have a chain saw, straps and a come-along, and would have time to help remove the tree tomorrow if anybody is up for it. Never run Alto-Alto (was hoping to this weekend), so I would need somebody who knows the run and location of the tree. Let me know....
brandon_blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
tree

I am available Friday or Saturday. Live in Boulder