Old 05-26-2010   #11

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Maybe the question is, is this on private land, and will we have problems if we try to remove the wood? Not sure how long this will take, as it's a quite big tree. It seems like we'll need at least 2-4 hours to get this done once we arrive at the site. I'd be up for tomorrow, but can't make it until later in the day. It's a quick drop down to the tree--less than an hour.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #12

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
If we give them the benefit of the doubt, there's a chance it just never occurred to them that it would be a hazard for boaters.

craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #13

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you have google earth plugin this should show you the island where the fallen tree is. This shows right channel as dry. Be curious to know hat it shows for people without the plugin.

Rollinsville - Google Maps

Edit: Ah Fckrs not accurate after the paste of url. Once it loads If you back up just a little bit then zoom you can see the island. The URL is landing north east of the point I had it zoomed to. The island is very near where the train tracks come out of the tunnel.
Old 05-26-2010   #14

Boulder, Colorado
Map

I opened the map link in another browser that did not have the plugin installed and and got just a map that was accurate But you have to hit the "satellite" button
Old 05-26-2010   #15

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I just checked the Gilpin County website and it is private land. Some guy owns the corner with the island and then the river flows through property owned by an LLC. The rest of the surounding land is public. You will have to find the location on this map as it won't save a particular spot. http://gis.co.gilpin.co.us/gilpinmaps2010/default.aspx FYI- Many counties have similar maps.
Old 05-26-2010   #16

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
If we give them the benefit of the doubt, there's a chance it just never occurred to them that it would be a hazard for boaters.
There's a good chance they just wanted a bridge to access the island. They might be not like it disappearing though.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #17

Denver,, exhaustion
Still the question of whom to report this to....
and with it being on pvt land should we notify them before removing to let them know....or just do it?
mostly concerned for safety of crew removing... you know angry gun toting owner that stuff.

oh yeah please be sure to post on here when removal plans are i would love to help if i'm not working... planning on doing the run soon anyway.
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #18

Boulder, Colorado
Since this involves private land, I have a call into the sheriff's office. I will let everyone know what they say after they call me back...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #19

Boulder, Colorado
Alto

Ran it today near 700; good fun. Tree is still there. You do not want to be out of your boat going down UP Cascade rapid as it is continuous at this level and could sweet you into Island Turn and the down tree. Tree is still above water and the right channel is easy to make and goes good now. Take plenty of clothes brrrr
Old 05-31-2010   #20

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Is this tree still in the river? I have run Alto many times but have never heard names of the rapids. Sounds like you are describing just after the second real rapid where it runs along the tracks, then bends right a bit, until the entire creek dog legs to the left through some chossy mank? If that is the case, where is the tree, after the mank or further up into the meat of the rapid?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote