Old 03-29-2016   #11
Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Bitching about it on the buzz isn't going to change anything. If you want to have some impact on the subject, go to a river meeting. They have them every year for the Rogue. This subject usually comes up every meeting, but that's as far as it goes. Outfitters aren't going to stop sending rabbits ahead. They have too much at stake to not get a suitable camp for their group. In the past ten years only one sitation has been issued for this infraction, on the Rogiue, and it was for a private group. You don't like it, that's understandable, you don't want to do ,great, but Bitching about it on the Buzz isn't going to change anything .

Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #12
That's why I bring this bad boy

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #13
Steamboat, Colorado
I thought this was a joke, but then I kept reading...
If you're out on the river to relax and unwind, it helps to adjust your panty wad before you head out.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #14
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
Isn't the law that all permit holders must camp together, but they don't have to be near each other while rafting during the day.

The last rogue run we did, there were 16 of us. Every morning 2 boats left early and got to camp and started setting up. Everyone else left around 10 or 11 am. It didn't occur to me that it was unethical. I mean, the gear boat has a whole beach to himself at noon chilling with 20 empty chairs around a fire ring. The customers come rolling in later with everything all set up. That's how it's always done. Isn't that what they do on the mf salmon also?
The Middle Fork is reserved camping.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #15
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Really? Should we talk about ramp ettiequte too? You said they look novice, educate them, Or you could just ask them where they are camping and figure it out as a group.
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #16
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
The Middle Fork is reserved camping.
And other rivers have a stipulation that the group must travel together. In these cases, camp jumping as described above is clearly a no-no. Seems like a lot of the trouble could be dealt with by earnest communication between trip leaders on the river and coordinating where folks are camping. And the understanding that stuff happens that may necessitate an emergency stop for the night.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #17
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
That's it I call all the camp sites in western Colorado and eastern Utah on all the rivers and hiking trails for May 2021. If I see any of you damn buzzards out and about at that time it's gonna get real.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #18
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Let's work it out together and be cool. If we don't it may fuel the "restrict the numbers" mentality of the department that has jurisdiction. We always want more accessibility and this kind of stuff can lead to bad affects.
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #19
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
That last guy must be an idiot! He should have used effect!
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #20
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
This dude I used to float with in Durango (we'll call him TeenageGirl) would get super uptight in the afternoon if the camps were all taken. He'd start bitching and getting drunk until he had the whole tribe stressed out. I dont really paddle with him any more. It doesn't bother me a bit to float into the evening and set camp late or to share a beach if there's no other options.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote