Rapid Change in Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2016   #1

Provo, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Rapid Change in Grand Canyon

The rapid at mile 221 has experienced a new flash flood and the rapid has changed significantly. There is a huge new hole near the top right similar to 209 mile rapid. From what I experienced yesterday, it is best to run to the left of this hole

robear16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #2

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for the update! If folks have photos or video of the drop I would be interested to see those as well.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #3

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks for the news. What would you say about its visibility from a boat?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Another forum notes Lower 220 Camp is underwater, as is most of Gorilla Island. Scouting of Granite Springs Rapid is recommended at this time, on river left. All the best, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I just got off my first Grand trip on the 21st and we all remarked that Granite Springs was much larger then expected. It think we chalked it up to water level, but it turns out its because of this flood. I'd say its a 5 or 6 rapid now. It felt like one of the bigger rapids of that day. For what its worth, I still think its read and run for most people, but we also ran it a pretty high water level that may have covered some stuff up. I know myself and another boat in my group ran the hole in 209, but it was more of a wave and didn't get anywhere close to flipping either of us to give you an idea of water levels.

We stayed at Travertine Falls that night and noticed a change in the color of the water, so there is a chance that it flashed again or something changed after we went through so your results may vary.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #6

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
There's been a lot of flashing in that reach of the canyon during the last week or two. Came down through there yesterday and the new hole is a legit feature. The run is similar to that of 209, and visibility on the approach should allow most heady boaters to read and run. A left of center entry pulling or pushing left to miss the hole is the move. Pretty awesome to see things moving around so dramatically down there, it's not often you get the opportunity to run a brand new rapid!

On a totally unrelated note, Saddle Canyon flashed huge too. Lots of debris flow and boulders moved around, looks like a bomb went off.

Happy monsoon season!
$$$
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey Blade, did you get any pictures of either 221 or Saddle? Thanks, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #8

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
No pics of rapid if I find my pics of saddle I'll post em' up here for ya Tom.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #9

Winslow, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
Ran the updated Granite Springs rapid on 9/6/16. We ran early morning - 8:30 - and the flow was close to 10K. At this flow, the rapid looked very similar to a reversed Crystal - without the dreaded rock island at the end.
Two offset holes, one after the other, in center toward top. Both can easily flip a boat. Huge breaking laterals coming off of the far right shore (bedrock?) with a nasty pour over immediately downstream. The tongue lead to a wave train with a very large pulsing wave about 3/4 of the way down. One boat hit this and reported a "Lava-like" crashing wave. Running down the left shore required breaking over some strong laterals and the run-out is through shallow water. I expect the rapid to look similar at lower water, with stiffer pour overs in center, but perhaps friendlier through wave train. No guesses at higher flows.
Scout left, but be aware that the cobble is still loose and moving under foot.
Hope this helps you all. Be safe.
Zeke
ZeketheGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #10

Here is a photo of Saddle Canyon where the big black rock used to be but is now gone!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SaddleCanyon.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	12308  
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote