Old 06-11-2015   #21
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
in the posted video, the flow was 7500 or so. i put on minutes before those guys did. i thought to myself while watching them, that those were people that should not be on the river at this level.
most of them looked grossly out of shape, there were no wetsuits, there were beers being consumed on the ramp. they just struck me as unaware of what they were about to find, and that they were not prepared for it. adding it all up, it looked like a disaster waiting to happen.
Spencer, me and a buddy were taking a look and talking to a couple of your crew at the put in. We were perched on some river right rocks as you came guys styled it. These guys...not so much. Buddies wife ended up pulling the girl out of the river.

bschoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #22
that was not me you talked to.

i run solo on a 14' cat.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #23
like i said before, it is big, it is intimidating, but there are NO must make moves, everything flushes.
it is a class III, with a super fast scary swim.

go ahead and call it a class IV it might keep some of the people that do not belong there from making headlines.

if you want to see class IV, go look at slaughterhouse or the numbers or royal gorge. BIG difference!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #24
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I wouldn't feel comfortable sending Joe Class 3 paddler down Shoshone right now.

You are right there are no real must makes and everything flushes but it is super intense with very big waves and holes. A swim would be very long and potentially fatal as evidenced by the fatality that created this thread.

I ran it last night and it was more intense than any of my medium flow level trips down the numbers or slaughterhouse.
knumbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #25
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Since you must consider the potential swim and its consequences when rating a stretch, shoshone should not be called class III at these levels. Maybe there are no "must make" moves, but you better be in the clean line or you will get chundered.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #26
pnw, Washington
Jeez, with that criteria then there is no class III in the state right now.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #27
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
That may be close to being right. Perhaps more accurate to say that there isn't much that a class III boater would feel comfortable on in the state right now.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #28
Montrose, Colorado
Boy I will second the above post cause we cancelled our planned run on the San Miquel with our group of 3 IK's . We have all done mild class IV runs, but at these levels any swim in normal class III becomes a class V swim. We have had to many early deaths on our rivers already this year, just think about the consequences of that possible swim at these levels. Is it really worth it??
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #29
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993

Shoshone is not a class three at high water simply because of how fast and cold the water is. Yes, most of the rapids are flushed out but there are lateral waves that can flip your boat. You must be prepared to swim and dress accordingly. This is a very sad story.
Coloradoweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #30
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Saw a couple boats out on there Saturday

Saw a couple of Creature Crafts out there, but I think they were running Barrel

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote