Old 07-08-2009   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Question about Holes

This is my first year on the poudre/real whitewater. I started boating last summer and have really gotten into this year. After about 75 trips on the filter plant I went up and did the lower mish section. Many times I had no problems and a TON of fun, but recently I ended up in Horseshoe hole and had a miserable experience to say the least.

First, I am wondering how the hole compares at recent water levels to say 3 feet or 2.5 feet? Second, I wonder how horseshoe hole compares to other holes on the poudre and other rivers? I have asked my friends and the response seems to be "it's nasty", but I would like to hear what other people have to say. Rapids, waves, etc.. do not scare me anywhere near as much as big holes after I ended up stuck in Horseshoe. For now (till the water goes down) I'll stick to the unexciting filter plant but I hope there is a water level that is more beginner safe on the upper section as I have quickly become a whitewater addict (but I also do not want to add to the misfortune that has plagued CO rivers this year).

Any advice for a beginner would be very welcome, especially how people approach and deal with holes. I also am looking for advice on other, good for beginner, sections of river.

esingleton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I thought this thread was pretty good:

Scouting/Reading Holes

I think Horseshoe is a pretty sticky hole, so I have to agree with your friends ratings. Dodging/Punching/Boofing holes is a pretty necessary skill on the river so as you progress you get to experience more and come up with several ways of trying to deal with it.

Deckers would be a good section if your comfortable on the filter plant, also the Upper C.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #3

Thornton, Colorado
Hit a play park. Head to Golden or Lyons. Don't be timid. Get into a hole on purpose try to surf and learn how to get out. Play boating is the fastest way to get comfortable in features, also great roll practice.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are Horseshoe hole and Red House Hole the same Hole?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
No, horseshoe is up on lower mish, red house is on bridges.
Old 07-08-2009   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Horseshoe v. Red House

I have never done bridges out of fear of killer bridge. How does horseshoe compare to red house/ the holes in bridges? Do people consider bridges a safer run than lower mish? The 100 yards or so leading up to horseshoe is the only part of lower mish that has given me any kinds of problems.

And is horseshoe considered a dreaded frowning hole?
And could my traumatic experience be because this is an especially bad hole/place to go for a swim? I hear raft companies call this area "the quarter mile of chaos" b/c they have issues there?
Old 07-08-2009   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Lots of talk of Poudre holes lately.....

Red house hole, Poudre river

I think for both of the holes if you are on your line your fine, I ran bridges before I ever went above Pineview. I think Bridges is a little more continuous than lower, not sure I would give either a safer than the other rating. Most beginners seem to like lower better.

I think the best advice is from rockinRio - go to a park, get comfortable in a hole - that's the best case scenario so you can think clearly when stuck and not intentional.
Old 07-08-2009   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Holes Holes and More Holes

What about water level. Are horseshoe and redhouse still sticky as the water goes down?
Old 07-08-2009   #9

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by esingleton56 View Post
What about water level. Are horseshoe and redhouse still sticky as the water goes down?
No....redhouse really loses it's "stickiness"....horseshoe still kinda has some bite but becomes much easier to avoid (but a few rocks pop out that make it a little more technical).

I'd say Horseshoe is a little more intimidating and an uglier hole than redhouse at most flows......although when the lil' poudre gets above 4.5 or so.....redhouse gets fugly.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #10

they are less sticky as the water goes down. For a while just go around those holes and work on boofing, surfing, and dealing with smaller holes. Those are two of the worst holes on the stevens down stretch, just learn where they are and avoid them. Below 3 feet they definitley get a lot less sticky.

I think lower mish might be a tad easier to survive for a beginner boater, but bridges is more fun and has a more variety of features including lots of good places for a beginner to practice surfing and other playboating. Just get around killer bridge and don't go into red house and you'll be fine.

Also red house is scary because it will surf a person without a boat for a while, whereas I think horseshoe is flushier for a body.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote