Old 07-08-2009   #11

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
FYI AW has a photo of horseshoe.

American Whitewater - NWRI - Cache La Poudre 07. Mishiwaka Inn to Poudre Park Picnic Ground

I wasn't sure which feature was horseshoe until I looked it up.

I think Horseshoe looks and feels bigger, but Red House is more sticky. Just my opinion. My buddy and I always hit the meat of Horseshoe, we get squirted, and I usually end up upside down but flush just fine. I'd say 3.7 and below you can boof center right, otherwise there isn't a boof and you ride the tongue into the hole. Also you can go far right to miss the hole. I don't ever remember going left so don't know what that looks like.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #12

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
First, congratulations on stepping it up! Remember that there are good days on the river and then there are not so good days on the river, and they all add to your learning and ability. And the play park advice others have mentioned is a must...

I don't know about anyone else, and I'm certainly not the best at reading water, but I find that scouting as many different rapids/holes as you can helps a lot. Scout out stuff that's harder than would run right now, as close to river/boater eye level as you can, from both downstream and upstream, and visualize your line through the rapid. Holes are almost always hidden behind a dome or bulge in the water as seen from upstream at boater level, then dropping off precipitously behind the dome. The more familiarity you get by seeing a variety of holes from different perspectives helps you recognize where to go and not to go as you read and run more difficult water.

If you do get in a hole, try to work your way to one shoulder or the other with forward or back strokes, bracing in the foam pile.

and if you get windowshaded in the hole, usually just lifting (lowering?) your paddle to about chest height a lot of times will allow a paddle blade to catch the green water underneath and allow you to roll up in the hole for another attemp to work your way out--so don't immediately give up when you flip in the hole

also, the Nealy book is an amazing resource for understand rapids behavior and characteristics.

this is just my $.02, but I've been in my share of holes and it has worked pretty well for me. others may have different techniques

Idaho spings town run is a good, fairly continuous run that you might also try as a moderate step up

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #13

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I really appreciate all this great info. Never would have thought to hit a play park b/c I thought they were only for "good" kayakers, whichj I do not consider myself one. Also where are Upper C and Deckers based on eddyflowers listings. I know they are on the Colorado and South Platte but I'm not sure what put in/take out to use?

Thanks again,
Evan
esingleton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #14

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by esingleton56 View Post
I really appreciate all this great info. Never would have thought to hit a play park b/c I thought they were only for "good" kayakers, whichj I do not consider myself one. Also where are Upper C and Deckers based on eddyflowers listings. I know they are on the Colorado and South Platte but I'm not sure what put in/take out to use?

If you don't already have these, get copies of Colorado Rivers and Creeks, and Whitewater of the Southern Rockies--great reading and they have all the beta for most any runs you can think of...

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote