Old 05-01-2009   #41

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbak View Post
Holy Moly you guys, I just wanted to give a heads up. I'm not trying to start lawsuits. I've been boatin here a long time and some people like to scout 5. Now ya can't. (at least not from the river.) As far as the history of the piece of land goes, a few years ago somebody pushed a bunch of dirt around--I think to build a septic and maybe expanded the bench a little bit. A couple from CrestedButte bought it with intentions to build on it but never did. They were fine with access and scouting etc. They sold it. The new guys built the log home last year and changed the rules. I have no idea if the guy is a jerk or the Dahli Lama or from New York or Timbuctu or whatever. All I know is that he is enforcing his property right. His property right is in conflict with longstanding and traditional practice. Maybe someone should ask him his position and rationale.--that's be my suggestion. I am just trying to give out information. Good Luck. P.S. I've always found that you can go either left or right in five, just don't wait too long to decide which.

Thanks for the update zip.. This trainwreck buzz thread started where a bunch of people got carried away with ZERO info other than a few signs up on the road......

I actually went up to the house and knocked on the door last night to talk with these folks... I know it is amazing I pry just should went down the road of crusifying all river landowners but I decided to get the real information before making that cross...............

Guess what they are not even home!!!! So a bunch of hot air and BS is what has been blowin through this thread.. The only truths in this thread are that you will now have to scout on the road and this is where you scout from anyway. And there are a few new signs up on his fence... That is it..

So maybe it is time for some of you to play this game....

Honestly I feel shitty about how most of you jumped on this trainwreck of a thread, with few real facts, less real info, and in the process are makin all boaters look like dumb asses....

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #42
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Why don't we get a few young, well-spoken dudes (or especially a hot chica) to stop by there every once in a while to ask what their policy is, and if it's 'no-scouting' then we try to have a discussion about the interests of safety and see if some give can't be achieved with some accommodations to their needs?

I'll volunteer to knock on the door.

And once we have a dialogue, post the results to the Buzz (and if it's a negative result to scouting, don't characterize the people as jerks).

I portaged 5 river left about 2 weeks ago (was having a "tippy" kind of day). There was certainly no fence.

Old 05-01-2009   #43

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Scout from the road and eddies.

It seems some are over reacting here. The main guts of 5 are easily viewable from the road. Take a glance while placing your shuttle. Otherwise, as always, boat scout it as you eddy hop or read it as you run. The combination of road and boat scout seems entirely sufficient for this rapid. There should be no need to be out on his land to scout. As likely as it is that some building, Army Corp, and EPA codes are violated by this guys septic system, those are separate issues from anyone feeling a need to enjoy the use of his property. Scout from the road and eddies.
Old 05-01-2009   #44

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Good for you RDNEK. I appreciate your efforts. I'm boating # today and I'll see if anyone's home too. Happy May, we're over 500 cfs and from the sound of things on this bizarre thread, there are a lot of boaters who need something to do. See ya out there.
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #45
gh

pnw, Washington
When I took somebody through for the first time (low water) we always stopped on river left and ate a snack and got a drink while discussing thier options on where to run. Sure its read and run but a first timer likes the option to have a look.
Old 05-01-2009   #46
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
I THINK WE SHOULD HANG 'EM!!!! Get the lynchin' rope!!!!
Old 05-01-2009   #47
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetomato View Post
I THINK WE SHOULD HANG 'EM!!!! Get the lynchin' rope!!!!
Old 05-02-2009   #48

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
That's always been considered private land as far as I know. Cut the signs out, grow up, it's their land. You can scout from the road easily.
Old 05-04-2009   #49

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We ran Numbers yesterday (Sunday 5/3/09). I didn't see any signs at river level on the left. All seemed the same as in prior seasons except the portage path at river level has wood and stones to discourage portaging there. We had a larger group and most just ran it. I stopped with the two first timers on the left and the three of us took a quick look at the whole drop from river level as it is hard to connect the pieces scouting from behind the fence. The house is barely visible from the scouting points at river level.

There was a truck in the driveway, but the gate was closed. We didn't stop to chat.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #50
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Land owners own the land to the center of the river, unless of course they own the land on both sides then they own it all. However they do not have any water rights, so as long as you are floating you are not trespassing. So my opinion on the matter is just stay in your boat, it's numbers, why scout, it's not that exciting so make it more so by not knowing what is around the corner. If you need to be scouting maybe head down stream to browns.

Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark