Old 04-30-2009   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I had an unfortunate feeling about this guy last year. The first thing he did before he even built the house was post about 10 no trespassing signs all over his property.

Unfortunately, I think the river left scout is finished. However, there are a few small river right eddies before the main drop and after the bridge and you might be able to get out of your boat and check it out from there -- keep in mind that this is also private property. You can also boat scout the majority of the rapid (or at least scout enough to find the next eddy) at the absolute last river right eddy (fits about 2, maybe 3 boats) before the main drop. These options may be a touch more difficult for less experienced class 4 boaters, but it's an option that the new douche-bag owner can't do anything about.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #12

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I had a conversation with the guy that was installing the fence last summer and he was saying that the landowners where not going to be to understanding about this type of thing and that from now on we needed to "scout" from the bridge. I think I saw them inspecting during construction at one point last year, look like your typical 60 something ex-NY lawyer type in their new Jeep "roughing it in Co". I imagine over time with such a large commercial interest that a lot of (in)direct pressure will be applied and they will become a bit more relaxed about it.

How about scouting from river right where the photo people are during season? Not as nice but better view then from the bridge...

Old 04-30-2009   #13

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Think all is said and done. This guy owns the land and dosen't want a bunch of kayakers on his property. As far as I can see, thanks for the heads up, but that's it. It really is up to us to know what land is public / private; ie where we can / can't get out of our boats. It seems to me this guy is in for a lot of yelling and perhaps picked a bad spot for his temperment. Se la vie
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #14

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
This guy is gonna blow a fuse. Does he understand the amount of traffic around that rapid??? Even if we all (and we definitely SHOULD BE) are respectful of his property, the amount of traffic over the bridge, in the little parking lot, along the road in front of his house, etc....is gonna drive this guy nuts.

I haven't seen where he positioned his house....can you still get a decent look at the rapid from the dirt road?? I know there was a small window between some large trees that you could see most of the drop. Albeit from a distance, but you could at least see the whole thing.

Even if he doesn't deserve it.....we probably should all be as nice as we possibly can or this'll just get worse. I see there being issues like Justin stated above......rescue situations (and there's bound to be MANY) could become tricky and almost force trespass. What are we to do when a boat and/or person in need of rescue washes up into "his eddy"?????
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #15

Don't worry Jeb, if you or any of my other friends get into trouble on the river I'll take a trespassing ticket to help you out. Wouldn't be my first, probably wont be my last. Small price to pay to potentially save someone's life.

I can understand not portaging on his property, or scouting, but rescue situations....all bets are off. Think the police or firefighters care about someone's private property when someone's life is in jeopardy? Nope. Even though many don't think #5 is that bad (like me), ask gh about his little mishap there. Shit can happen.
Old 04-30-2009   #16

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I hate to say it, but the guy who purchased this house was nuts if he doesn't want boaters on his property. It's like buying a house next to a music venue or bar and then calling the cops for a noise complaint. It just doesn't make sense why someone would pick such a popular spot to build a house and then make a big deal over what was already there. I understand the law supports him, but this guy should have known the situation ahead of time as an informed buyer, and if he did, then he is looking for conflict. Which, I'm sure he'll get. Of course I'll respect his property as I've never scouted that stretch besides when I drive over the bridge, but for those who swim out of there and the commercial traffic there is going to be much conflict. Maybe he should sell the house to a boater, if any of us could afford such a place.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #17

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
This guy should get together with caspermike and they could play a one-up each other on irrational behavior.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #18

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketohike View Post
I hate to say it, but the guy who purchased this house was nuts if he doesn't want boaters on his property. It's like buying a house next to a music venue or bar and then calling the cops for a noise complaint.
Yeah, seriously. What the hell did he expect. Maybe his next place will be on that rock overlooking Seidel's or next to Hecla International River Port.

On a side note, the surficial geology indicates that the guy's house sits pretty much on top of a recent debris flow (like the ones that crossed the road near Mt. Princeton).

Lol, site planning fails for "cultural and geologic hazards."
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #19

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I haven't seen where he positioned his house....can you still get a decent look at the rapid from the dirt road??
From memory (6 months ago) it isn't completely in the way but obstructs some angles. More or less it is directly downstream from the little wash that goes into the eddy. It isn't a huge house, but it is a very small patch of land.
Old 04-30-2009   #20
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i agree with iliketohike, the guy decided on the WRONG spot to build a house if he doesnt like boaters.

whats going to happen is hes going to start lawsuits and start fighting with everyone he can, companies, private parties, etc, to try and get a reduction in the traffic, the classic, "why cant you boat somewhere else besides MY river?" hopefully he will realize just how big of a beast he is fighting here......

Tags
ark