Old 07-11-2009   #121

Gering, Nebraska
The guy that has just built the log home owns maybe 1 acre, and has been misunderstood as far as his position in all this. I think he has been the brunt of a lot of speculation and course words despite having no part in any of this. Apologies to him are in order. Huck has been the owner of said property for over 20 years. Just to clarify, he owns 100 yards both above and below the bridge on both sides of the river. As far as the rescue situation is concerned, I assure you Huck would have jumped in himself to save someone...so whoever was encountered, it was not Huck. We have been in some bad situations together and I trust the man with my life. Again, I am sure if permission is asked and land is respected, he would gladly give permission to anyone who approached him about it. However, he has said that not one person has ever even attempted to ask permission in all his years of ownership. I too understand his frustration. As a landowner myself, it is hard to allow everyone access knowing that there are always going to be those "few bad apples". But, if someone is polite and asks permission, it goes a long way to speak for their character as an outdoorsman and steward of their sport. This is universal to all outdoor sports, be it boating, fishing, hunting, etc. If there are signs and fences up, they were probably put there due to previous bad experiences...this is the case on my own property. They may not stop someone who has no regard for the law or personal property, but it lets people know they should ask first. We all enjoy the outdoors, and all of us want it to be around for future generations. The way we treat other people and represent our respective sports is the only way to ensure that it happens.

whip5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #122

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70
Sorry for the delay replying everyone. I have a little girl on Summer break (yeah, the youngster in that rafting photo). She desperately wanted to see Mt Rushmore...I obliged.

Quote:
Anyhow, I now realize that you are the owner upstream of the bridge, not directly adjacent to number 5, right?
Jennifer, first of all, thank you! My sister, my mother, and I own roughly 25 acres both north and south of the bridge (we have somewhere around 630 feet of river frontage -the centerline of the river is a portion of our western boundry. The man with the new log home is directly south of us ( I do hope the boating community makes formal apologizes and takes every effort to make this man "whole" after all the erroneous assumptions). The "parking lot" is on a one acre piece of ground owned by the Cities of Aurora and Colorado Springs. Their land stops shy of the river's high water line. Thus, access to the river is via my family's property-there is no legal public access. The road going up to #4 is part of a 100' wide easement which is for "roadway purposes"-dynamic flow of course. Mass static "parking" within this specifies area violates this agreement. Parking is allowed, currently, on the two city's land outside the easement. Yes, there is public access above and below our property. Yes, as I've stated, scout, save, and respect-more importantly, have fun! If the boating community would keep their endeavors below the high water line, we would be greatly appreciative. My family (boaters among us) is not trying to be a horde of buttheads-things have gotten out of hand which need to be rectified. Again, we appreciate the community's support.

Thanks Cheyenne and Andy for being the voice of reason. Page five had me keeping my neck tucked tightly against my shoulders. I felt it necessary to test the water...hope everyone understands.

Marko,

I think we all grew from this and that's important. Apology accepted! Can you do me a favor though? Do what you can to prevent retaliation on the kind man to the south of me. It may be an unintend consquence of this discussion. I would have to see a brick with "D-bag" written on it come through his new window.

Whip, you are a good friend and wise beyond your years- Thank you.

My family and I wish everyone the best! Feel free to PM me your questions and concerns.

Sincerely,

Will Nelson

iamyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #123

Erie, Colorado
That should have been hate instead of " have" in the sentence above. I would hate to see a brick.......

sorry, I have fat fingers and it was late.
Old 07-13-2009   #124

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Why would someone cut down trees there? That's just weird. It's not like there is camping there. That would really upset me.
Old 07-13-2009   #125

Erie, Colorado
Canada,

Pure spectulation...the trees blocked the photography opportunities heading into #5. Essentially they were in the way, and someone felt they should be removed.

Thank you everyone for your assistance in policing this matter.
Old 07-13-2009   #126
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Will,

I apologize for being a horses ass towards you. If I'm ever in your AO I will watch out for your land and ensure all my boating friends know that "The owner of that land is a salt of the earth stand up guy".

Thanks for addressing this issue and please accept my apology for being an ass.

Scott
Old 07-13-2009   #127
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Sounds like you Colorado boaters have an opportunity to work on private property and boater co-operation here. Some work on education, policing (as in litter patrol ) of some of the use areas and maybe even a couple of work parties for streambank rehab?? could go a long ways to mitigate boater impacts.

Perhaps trespass permit $$$ to go towards replanting some of the trees cut down or.....

In other news I was flipping through the channels and caught the end of Tombstone with the line from Kilmer that is the prop owners namesake.

Such a good scene. Made me smile thinking of this thread.

Good luck.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #128
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Insted of trash talking...

Maybe insted of trash talking the Buzz could set-up a little trash clean-up for Number 5. We didn't make the mess, but we may not have done anything to stop it either. We can however help clean it up and put our money where our mouth is. It's time to grab some plastic gloves and start picking up some TP.
Old 07-13-2009   #129

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
"instead of trash talk"? Bite your tongue
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #130
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
If you buy a house across from a land fill, it's going to smell like garbage. If you buy a house near a freeway, there's gonna be traffic noise. If you buy a house in Morrison, they'll be drunken concert-goers in your front yard. If you buy a house on one of the most most boated rivers in the nation, there will be river rats, good and bad.

Not trying to defend anyone's actions...trash should be picked up, feces should be pooped in sanitary receptacles and intercourse (while definitely not discouraged) should be away from innocent eyes.

Just callin' you out man. You're bitchin about paddlers on the busiest fucking river in the nation. Get over it. It's like living in a Lodo loft and bitching about baseball fans.

Here's a tip: sell your overcroweded arky riverfront (I'm sure you could get a pretty penny for it) buy something in Montucky or Wyoming where there's less traffic.
You are a dumbass and he is not powerless.

And he's had the land for 20 years? Think it was like this when they bought it???

He came into this house with guns blazing, but don't forget it's because people came into his house with asses shitting.

OK, it seems to me that it's unlikely the landowners are going to care about a quick, quiet, and respectful eddy->bank scout->keep boating. Match that up with a road scout and you should be good to go, right?

If you have to walk across their property to get a view from the road, ask em. Is that so hard? It's the legal AND the right thing to do.

Tags
ark