Old 07-09-2009   #101

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
.. so installing a viewing deck and a few recycling bins is out?..

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #102

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70
Quote:
If you buy a house across from a land fill, it's going to smell like garbage. If you buy a house near a freeway, there's gonna be traffic noise. If you buy a house in Morrison, they'll be drunken concert-goers in your front yard. If you buy a house on one of the most most boated rivers in the nation, there will be river rats, good and bad.

Not trying to defend anyone's actions...trash should be picked up, feces should be pooped in sanitary receptacles and intercourse (while definitely not discouraged) should be away from innocent eyes.

Just callin' you out man. You're bitchin about paddlers on the busiest fucking river in the nation. Get over it. It's like living in a Lodo loft and bitching about baseball fans.

Here's a tip: sell your overcroweded arky riverfront (I'm sure you could get a pretty penny for it) buy something in Montucky or Wyoming where there's less traffic.
Brilliant Dan, and sensitive too. I think I'll keep my property and opt for plan "B". I"ll have the Sheriff cite your dumb ass and enjoy the economic benefit you provide to the county. You all question my credibility? Now you know what I'm talking about!

iamyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #103

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
common ground

this post sure got me thinkn which is rare. so this is what i hear. more people movin to colorado more people kayakn more people buying land more people going fishin more people building houses more people rafting more people livin in colorado right.... we all want the same thing. just a little slice of that colorado summertime paradise. we have to realize that our colorado experience is not static. its going to change. its going to get more crowded and we are all gonna have to compromise if we all want to keep enjoyn gods creation together. we all have to listen be respectful and open minded because we all enjoy a common precious and limited resource. !!!!COLORFUL COLORADO!!!! (amen)
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #104

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry View Post
I"ll have the Sheriff cite your dumb ass and enjoy the economic benefit you provide to the county.
Glad to see we are back to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
All the things you already listed are illegal, I would think enforcing the existing laws would satisfy your "friends" issues.
It is the correct action to take.

I hope to be able to wave to you (sorry casper, all my fingers) as I float by and not get out of my boat 100 yrds above or below the bridge this weekend.

Peace,

MR
Old 07-09-2009   #105

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Dear Mr. Dingleberry,

Like you, I own a little chunk of river. Unlike you, I took a monumental dump this morning and feel pretty darned good.

Believe me, I understand pricks who have no grasp of private property. I also understand pricks who have no grasp of where their private property is located. I live on a little-bitty river that is kayakable about one week a year. I actually love seeing them paddle by. If they wanted to stop for a beer, I'd be completely cool with that. If they needed to portage or scout, I'm absolutely fine with that as well. If they wanted to put-in or take-out on my dirt... again, cool. Rafts? Forget it, unless they're one of those Saturn "puncture proof" jobs. As a result, I don't have to endure people crapping in my yard, fornicating in my yard, or other unsavory acts of self-absorbed cluelessness. (Note: Once I did see a coupla mule deer doing the nasty in the wetlands west of my dirt. Made me smile.) Mostly, every once and awhile, I have to chase away fisherpeople who are killing my little fishy-buddies.

My wife and I chose a little-bitty river for many wonderful reasons, one of which is the reality that we don't have to endure the nonstop summer traffic that rivers like the Ark have. While I don't condone the acts of buttholishness that you have endured (and will likely continue to endure until you check out for good), for you to act surprised that a bunch of Front Rangers might confuse your private property for public property (or not give a rat's ass) is a little perplexing. Dude, you live on one of the most heavily used rivers in the United States, within a short drive of a gigantic population. Seriously! Surely this isn't a newsflash...

I honestly hope you can reach some understanding with your nemeses. But try not to be too surprised that hordes of Front Rangers, yearning to be free of their vile urban bonds, might find your conveniently located private property a bit too convenient for your personal comfort.
Old 07-09-2009   #106

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
settle down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry View Post
Brilliant Dan, and sensitive too. I think I'll keep my property and opt for plan "B". I"ll have the Sheriff cite your dumb ass and enjoy the economic benefit you provide to the county. You all question my credibility? Now you know what I'm talking about!
Whatever man, there is no way Chaffee counties finest are going to post up at your property and wait for the one dumbass who can't see the rapid from the road or the bridge...no matter how big a fit you through, believe it or not, they have better stuff to do.

I agree totally that some people are disrespectful, and may not live up to your expectations of what a kayaker should be...but seriously, the people posting on this thread are probably not the ones doing these things "near" your property (I have a hard time believing someone was having sex in your yard).

If I see anyone littering, etc. I usually try and say something or at least clean up after them...It may literally be your yard, but figuratively speaking many of us look at it as our back yard as well.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #107

FYI everyone, I think iamyourhuckleberry is a real troll who has been hitting boater forums for years and who got into it with several of us years ago. Erie CO is a big hint here. If he is the guy I think he is he hates boaters and loves to stir up trouble for boaters. Ignore him and he will eventually go away.

An old boater...
CORiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #108

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
It seems to me that the guy has had valid issues. People talked a lot about dialogue well, here's your chance.

If any of you guys are climbers you know that everyone looses when you start conflicts with the property owner. I don't know the guy from Adam but it seems like getting the word out to the community to tone the shit down, swinging by and saying hi from time to time, and not throwing gas on the situation would be more helpful than banging him because he wants a bit more respect on his land.

It seems like there is an opportunity here. Telling him to expect bad behavior or move is probably not the way to go.

Just my two cents.
thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #109

Gering, Nebraska
Dudes, I have known Huck for years. He is probably the most knowledgeable and understanding person I know when it comes to the outdoors sports. We have hunted together all over North America. If you asked his permission, he would undoubtedly let you on his property. I assure you, he does not have it out for all kayakers...or any outdoorsman for that matter. I spent the 4th of July weekend with him and can attest to his concerns....there are some people who simply do not respect private property and think that they own the river. Well, Huck owns the property that many people abuse. Either obey the laws, or suffer the consequences. In what world do you live where you think because you want to float down a river it is ok to trample on other peoples property? Where I come from, you wouldn't have the opportunity to get a citation for tresspassing, you would be shot. I assure you, it could.....at a whim....be a lot worse for people who wanted access. I wouldn't push my luck.
whip5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #110

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70
Some incredible logic coming from a law abiding, respectful community. I am dumbfound!

Subject myself to name calling...insane
Compromise....nah, I don't think so.
Evolve with the increasing populace...not necessary
Sell out and move...not likely
Become a troll...probable
Wave back with a full hand of fingers...possible

May the community always have plenty of water and a strong current. Paddle well my friends, paddle well.

Thanks for the Advice Andy. I'll watch for you my friend-you have the number.

iamyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark